Robocon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robocon

My institute is hosting Robocon India this year, right now, and I just watched the first day of the event. Robotics and robotics competitions are a pretty big thing among the top colleges and universities in India, and all over the Asia-Pacific region.

I wanted to know how much interest there is in these sort of contests the world over.

Comment

Say his name three times and he appears you know
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

What? Is this some reference to that weird DL we had a while back? I can't help that that's the name of the event, can I?

Comment

Do you really need to ask this, or is this just another yay for India thread?

Comment

D L
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Drixnak
              zero

Comment

You do realize it's possible to read all the threads on here without registering right?

Comment

Originally posted by Drixnak
                  WTF? How the hell is the connected in any way with "yay for India"? I just want to know how much other parts of the world indulge in these dick-waving contests for technical people.

The atmosphere in there was as if we were watching a tense sporting event. I've attended a live cricked match, and I've attended this, and the audience here was much more emotional than the one which was watching the cricket match. Quite nice, really, to see equal respect (and, in fact, reverence) accorded to this sort of thing. We don't have the problem of techies not having respect.

Comment

Day 2 Scorecard:

INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY : 415-7 declared
                    SARDAR PATEL COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING : 212-3 at close of play

Comment

Techies love contests that show off brainpower. We even have Cable TV shows in America in which the bots compete, either one-on-one or in big free-for-all's.
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

There was a TV show called 'Robot Wars' in the UK, where small bots would beat the crap out of each other in a ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                          There was a TV show called 'Robot Wars' in the UK, where small bots would beat the crap out of each other in a ring.
                          I saw one or two episodes of that. It was AWESOME!

I wish they'd have one Robocon where that would be the objective. That would completely own!

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            Say his name three times and he appears you know
                            Robocon

Robocon

Robocon

Liar!

Spec.
                            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

well, robocon is what we doctors call: "very, very small"

"Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Working...
                              X