Engrish native speakers: Please help me understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engrish native speakers: Please help me understand

So I saw this sign about a thousand times, but today I finally got myself to read it.

But: I cannot understand it. I mean I can read the text and I know the meaning of each individual word, but the meaning of the sentence absolutely escapes my grasp. Could you ever-knowing, always-friendly, loving-to-help native speakers please rephrase it?

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Do you speak with an accent?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

No. But everyone else does.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

It doesn't mean anything. It's noise.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
          It doesn't mean anything. It's noise.
          Alright, then, what about this one:

Comment

There are 5 good reasons for drinking sake :

For Reasons!! Thats self explanatory

You can put nectar in it! yummy!

If you are in a dry place, you can pour sake all over it, and the place gets wet!

To celebrate the national holiday!! USA USA USA!!

And if you are drunk, you dont think of the future!!
            I need a foot massage

Comment

once again you continue to amaze me...
              Order of the Fly
              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

yay for silly translations

Comment

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is Surprise. Fear and Suprise! Two weapons. Fear, Surprise, and Ruthless Efficiency. Three weapons. Fear, Surprise, Ruthless Efficiency, and a Fanatical Devotion to the Pope! Amongst our weaponary are such diverse elements as ... "

Comment

Comment

im ****ing speechless...
                      that was classic. nuff said.
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Definitely in the top 5 Python sketches.

Comment

--"But: I cannot understand it."

Not a native engrish speaker, but that one's mostly clear.

People drink for five reasons.
                          For holidays.
                          It tastes good.
                          (this is the vague one) Just because.
                          Because they're thirsty.
                          They want to get unconscious.

Why something like this is hanging in public is another question, mind you.

--"Alright, then, what about this one:"

Okay, that one's out there. I suspect I'd have to actually translate the Japanese portion to make real sense of it. It kind of seems like it's asking you to call for the attendant when they're not at the cash register because they might be in the restroom.

Wraith
                          "I only mind the voices in my head when they don't speak English."
                          -- Ajax ("Duckman")

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                            Alright, then, what about this one:

The Japanese says (roughly)...

"If you need to use the restroom after you pay your bill, please let someone at the register know when you return (to leave)."

I might be missing something, though. I'm not exactly sure what なく in the second line is there for...
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X