Court clears Serbia of genocide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court clears Serbia of genocide

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Court clears Serbia of genocide

Bosnians sought a guilty verdict at the court in The Hague

The UN's highest court has cleared Serbia of direct responsibility for genocide during the 1990s Bosnian war.

But the International Court of Justice did rule that Belgrade had violated international law by failing to prevent the 1995 massacre at Srebrenica.

The legal details escape me, but I gather that this verdict was somewhat expected.

In another tribunal (ICTY), the Srebrenica crimes commited by Bosnian Serbs have been characterized as genocide and individuals have been found guilty of genocide. However, the case that Bosnian Serbs were completely controlled by Serbia was never proven beyond doubt. I think Milosevic's trial went some way into proving it, but since he died halfway through we never found out how it would have ended.

At least it was always my opinion that Milosevic could pressure Bosnian Serbs to do almost anything he wanted, however they weren't simply executioners of his plans, they had a mind of their own. Of course, nowadays everyone who's still alive is covering his ass and these states aren't exactly German in keeping records, so we'll probably never know the full truth of who ordered what and how (not to mean that we shouldn't keep trying).

This also means that Croatia's case against Serbia in the same court is also likely going to fail. I can't say I care. We can live without financial compensation from Serbia (which they can't afford anyway). Bosnian muslims are starved for cash on the other hand, so it would have been a big boost to them to have recieved a couple of billion dollars.

So when is the ICC going to rule against Croatia for their collaboration with the Nazis?

The ICC can go **** itself. Prosecute Serbia while Israel does the same thing only much, much worse. Only Serbia was a sovereign nation long before the Zionists occupied the Holy Land and started their campaign of ethnic cleansing that persists to this day.

Not that I'm defending anyone or justifying anything. That's not my point or intent. It's the hypocrisy of this international court system that pisses me off. If there aren't going to be consistent standards applied to every nation, Serbia shouldn't be singled out.

But whatever.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

AFAIk Israel hasn't a signed the ICC statute, like a number of other countries (US, the Hindu civi....I mean India Russia, China IIRC and probably some others), and the court does not do historic stuff, like WWII.
      Blah

Comment

The Nuremberg trial can also go **** itself!
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Sava, this is ICJ, not ICC. And not ICTY. Similar, but not the same, if you get my drift.

But yes, it's pretty hypocritical (the court).

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
            So when is the ICC going to rule against Croatia for their collaboration with the Nazis?

The ICC can go **** itself. Prosecute Serbia while Israel does the same thing only much, much worse. Only Serbia was a sovereign nation long before the Zionists occupied the Holy Land and started their campaign of ethnic cleansing that persists to this day.

Not that I'm defending anyone or justifying anything. That's not my point or intent. It's the hypocrisy of this international court system that pisses me off. If there aren't going to be consistent standards applied to every nation, Serbia shouldn't be singled out.

But whatever.
            I dont agree with the above, but Im not going to argue it again at this point in time.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

How about addressing something a bit more current and large scale... like... I don't know... darfour?!

Comment

The religion of peace does not kill innocents
                I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                  How about addressing something a bit more current and large scale... like... I don't know... darfour?!
                  Two minutes ago I saw CNN's female news anchor (I don't know her name) give a really hard time to Sudan's US ambassador. It's the first time I saw CNN giving a hard time to anyone, so I was really surprised.

Comment

Working...
                  X