No announcement yet.

Math Puzzle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You just have to draw it out. Unless I confused myself, the answer is no, since as soon as three adjacent faces (of the cube) are filled, you have to end up in the middle to fill that particular face. So you can't fill out the last face without hitting the center.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme
      Here's one I heard at the same party.
      It's not as fun though.

"You have a 3x3x3 cube, you start in one corner and want to end in the middle, traversing each 1x1x1 cube exactly once, going from a 1x1x1 cube to an adjacent one (sharing a face).
      Can you?"

(is there a Hamiltonian path in the graph starting in the corner and ending in the middle).
      No. Label the adjacent cubes as either "odd" or "even," such that you need to move from odd to even or even to odd in each move. Since 27 is an odd number, you'll need to end on the same type of cube as the one you started in, but the centre cube is not of the same label as any of the corners.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

That's a much better way of thinking about it...
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Elegant

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
            You just have to draw it out. Unless I confused myself, the answer is no, since as soon as three adjacent faces (of the cube) are filled, you have to end up in the middle to fill that particular face. So you can't fill out the last face without hitting the center.
            '
            I'm not sure I understand your argument.
            LordShiva got it.

Comment

Place 4 knights of each colour on a chess board, so that each knight attacks three opposing knights and no friendly knights.
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                Place 4 knights of each colour on a chess board, so that each knight attacks three opposing knights and no friendly knights.
                found it
                fits on a 5x6
                White: a2, d3, d5, e2
                black: b4, c1, c3, f4

pretty cool, the graph is the cube and it is drawn in isometric perspective or whatever.

EDIT:
                ill try to think of something soon, but if somebody has a good one, feel free to post.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  Elegant
                  It's a classic solution to that type of pathing problem...
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme

found it
                    fits on a 5x6
                    White: a2, d3, d5, e2
                    black: b4, c1, c3, f4
                    Yup

Comment

Yeah, that one's a cool problem.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Here's one until I can find something better.
                        Show that some of the requirements in Shiva's problem are redundant, so the problem is not aesthetically pleasing

(I checked this quickly, so may be wrong)

Comment

I don't see it.

Comment

As far as I can tell, the requirement that knights of the same color don't attack each other is redundant, and just asking that each knight attacks 3 opposite knights gives a unique solution, up to rotation\reflection\changing the colors.

Comment

I meant I didn't see what the problem was. I didn't see the "show" in your post, and thought you'd linked to a [broken] image.

Comment

Working...
                              X