Packet shaping software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packet shaping software

This afternoon, I was torrenting a show and pinging talk.google.com at the same time. The talk.google.com pings were in the 800 ms range while torrenting, but in the 15 ms range while not torrenting. Obviously, 800 ms pings to talk.google.com are way too high for the service to be useful.

Given this, I was wondering if there is any simple and quality packet-shaping software available or whether there is another approach that might do the trick. Basically, I want to guarantee talk.google.com has the best pings while my torrenting takes second fiddle.

Thanks!
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Your torrenting software probably has an option built in for limiting the number of simultaneous connections and/or bandwidth used. Alternatively, NetLimiter is good (commercial) Windows software for controlling bandwidth usage on your PC.

Comment

Hmmm... $17 for Netlimiter Lite. Not too bad. I might give it a try.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I hope there's a try before you buy option, I wouldn't like to be responsible if you don't like it . The software is really good, but there are probably free alternatives around.

Comment

There is a 28-day trial version.

I downloaded and installed the free Netlimiter Monitor. It's great in that it breaks out all of the threads and IP connections. If the monitor is comprehensive, I can know that my machine isn't a zombie machine.

Comment

My packet is a lovely shape as it is
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              My packet is a lovely shape as it is
              Hehe, PH got suckered into buying package-shaping software

Comment

I bought it from Sweden
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

IKEA you mean Nothing beats a good old fashioned DIY-job.

Comment

Working...
                  X