Train Crash in NW England 23/02/07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train Crash in NW England 23/02/07

A Virgin train has derailed and slid down an embankment in Cumbria, witnesses say.

Witnesses said the train derailed before sliding down an embankment and a number of carriages were on their side. It is unclear if people were injured.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

www.my-piano.blogspot

Bummer.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

A number of carriages were left on their side, with some "stuck up in the air", passengers said. RAF helicopters, police and fire crews have been sent.
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

damn

wish health and quick recovery to everyone

Comment

Someone's not pulled thorugh.

A passenger has died and dozens have been injured after a train derailed and some of its carriages slid down an embankment in Cumbria.

Ambulance crews said three were in a critical condition in hospital.
          BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

One comment:

"No passenger was killed on the Warrington - Carlisle railway (122 miles) in the 20th century. It is desperately sad that this fine record seems to have come to an end tonight. RIP."
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

OK, this could have been much worse from the sounds of it.
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Deary me...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Doddler
                  One comment:

"No passenger was killed on the Warrington - Carlisle railway (122 miles) in the 20th century. It is desperately sad that this fine record seems to have come to an end tonight. RIP."
                  They've still got that record, actually...

Comment

Doh!
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Sounds lke the reason for the crash were defective rails or, more exactly, a defective switch, because the railways company prefer to save the money needed for the upkeep of the tracks.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to have the rails as state property and charge the railway companies fees for the use of the tracks.
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                        Sounds lke the reason for the crash were defective rails or, more exactly, a defective switch, because the railways company prefer to save the money needed for the upkeep of the tracks.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to have the rails as state property and charge the railway companies fees for the use of the tracks.

Actually, it's not funny Danish rails are state owned, and they are in a really bad shape. For more than twenty years they have neglected ordinary maintenace. State ownership is no guarantee for proper maintenance. What is needed is precise quality levels and severe punishment if not reached.
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I assume that Proteus was being ever-so-slightly sarcastic. Network Rail was renationalised in all but name a few years back. Sloppy private companies (rightly) took the blame for the high-profile accidents at Hatfield and Potters Bar a few years back, but this just shows the folly of those who think that state control is some sort of panacea where nothing goes wrong. Those situations simply don't exist, unfortunately.

Looking at the pictures it's astonishing that there were not more fatalities or serious injuries. I shudder to think how many dozens more would have died if that train had been old rolling stock. No consolation for the relatives of the elderly woman who died or those who were seriously injured though.
                          Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Why post the date?
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

In case someone attempts necromancy in the future?
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X