US Taxes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Taxes question

I need to file federal and state (DC) taxes.

I don't have any mortgage payments, tuition fees, charity contributions with receipts, or (unreimbursed) business expenses. I will pay state taxes, though, which, at 8.5% in DC will be more than $5,500 (the standard deduction). So, when I file my federal taxes, I'd want to itemise, and list the state tax figure (right?). But I won't know my exact state tax figure until I file my state taxes. The problem is, my state tax form asks for details on my federal taxes.

What to do?
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

use a calculator?
    umm... sorry
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I'm assuming that you are a non-resident alien, right? You do not have permanent US residence?

In that case you cannot take the standard deduction. You must itemise. If state tax was witheld at source then claim the amount witheld at source as state taxes paid. If you have a state tax refund then you will have to report it as income during the following year (2007).

In other words, if you had 8000$ DC tax witheld at source during 2006, claim 8000$. If you then get a refund of 1000$ from DC on this 8000$ you will have to report it as federal income during 2007.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing since I'm in a different state, but the state info used on your federal tax sheet is usually from the year before.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          I'm assuming that you are a non-resident alien, right? You do not have permanent US residence?

In that case you cannot take the standard deduction. You must itemise. If state tax was witheld at source then claim the amount witheld at source as state taxes paid. If you have a state tax refund then you will have to report it as income during the following year (2007).

In other words, if you had 8000$ DC tax witheld at source during 2006, claim 8000$. If you then get a refund of 1000$ from DC on this 8000$ you will have to report it as federal income during 2007.
          I think that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by rah
            I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing since I'm in a different state, but the state info used on your federal tax sheet is usually from the year before.
            If you're filing a 2006 tax return, you will be using the state figure from your 2006 W2. KH has it right.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Btw, what did we let you in the country for?
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I was grandfathered in. Sorry.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                  Btw, what did we let you in the country for?
                  For being awesome.

Comment

Thanks for answering, DanS. I was worried someone might think I was asking the Indian...
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

he did
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                        For being awesome.
                        Seriously. What exactly do you do? And why are you paid at least three times as much as I am to do it?

Comment

He was let in so that he could pay the outrageous D.C. taxes.

Comment

I'm a management/strategy consultant. I.e. You guys let me in to make stuff up and BS a lot in PowerPoint.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                              He was let in so that he could pay the outrageous D.C. taxes.

Taxation and two reasons for lack of representation

Comment

Working...
                              X