Iraq tearing down Crosssabers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq tearing down Crosssabers

The Crosssabers are the two crossed swords that were seen in many of videos of Saddam's troops marching for review in front of him. Not everyone seems to be aware that there are two sets of the crossed sabers one on each end of the parade path.

Just got back from running by there and they are tearing them down right now.

What are you doing in Baghdad?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Are they peaceful? Or is it ugly?

This sounds not so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
        What are you doing in Baghdad?
        They shut down JFK due to the snow and rerouted us to Bagdad till the weather cleared.
        Last edited by GhengisFarbâ„¢; February 22, 2007, 14:21.

Comment

Right
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Re: Are they peaceful? Or is it ugly?

Originally posted by PuddlewatchHQ
            This sounds not so good.
            Its not a mob, its the government of Iraq. Their tearing down all monuments erected by Saddam. They courdoned off the area and began tearing them down and now have security posted to keep people from snagging souveniers.
            Last edited by GhengisFarbâ„¢; February 22, 2007, 14:23.

Comment

UPDATE: PM Maliki halted the tear down. Rumor has it he may exempt the cross sabers and order them put back up.

Comment

Um, apparently there was something that happened that caused Maliki to order a halt to the tear down. I would like to go on record that I took absolutely nothing from the site, and in no way pryed or tore anything off the monuments at all.

I have witnesses to my whereabouts for the entire day.

Comment

Well, nice to see the left hand knows what the

right hand is doing.

Now what were they going to do with them after they got them down?

ah okay, that makes more sense. Still thats a lot of metal to have floating around not being a monument anymore. Probably bronze.

edited because I skip over stuff without realizing it.
                  Last edited by PuddlewatchHQ; February 22, 2007, 06:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                    Right
                    Hehe, I've been over here since December. I actually volunteered to come over with an Engineer company from my state who was needing more people for their mission.

Comment

Glad to see the cross sabres staying. It would be like the French tearing down the Arch de Triumphe or the U.S. paving over the Tomb of the Unknowns.

Comment

Iconoclasts. Not that I would consider Saddam statues pieces of art, but not everything what was constructed or used under his rule has to be destroyed. Good that it seems to have worked out well.

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb

They shut down JFK due to the snow and rerouted us to Bagdad till the weather cleared.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Update: Ran by today and they are still dismantling them, so the rumor that Maliki was going to put them back up was apparently just that.

Comment

Could you please stop writing senences in the subject line...

When they should really go to the post body?

Originally posted by PuddlewatchHQ
                              right hand is doing.

Now what were they going to do with them after they got them down?

ah okay, that makes more sense. Still thats a lot of metal to have floating around not being a monument anymore. Probably bronze.

edited because I skip over stuff without realizing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X