can vegetarians take communion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand
    It's symbolic. It doesn't morph into meat.
    To secular people, this is true. To religious people, this is false.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Transubstantiation is unsubstantiated.
      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

To secular people, this is true. To religious people, this is false.
        Catholics are, I believe, the only religious people for whom this is true.

But it does raise two other interesting questions:

(1) Would vegetarians still have an ethical problem with eating animals if the animals were themselves sentient beings who urged us to eat them and who, further, didn't seem to be harmed by being eaten?

(2) Doesn't that describe both Jesus and a pig that Homer Simpson once fanatsized about?
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I might be misremembering my Anthropology class, but I could have sworn there was another religious group besides Catholics that had a Communion-like symbolic cannibalism ritual.
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Catholics are, I believe, the only religious people for whom this is true.
            The orthodox and copts/armenians/ethiopians/ believe the same, altough they dont use the word Transubstantiation .
            I need a foot massage

Comment

Its one of the big issues between Anglicans and Catholics, that and the Pope
              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

can vegetarians take communion?

No. But I'm fairly certain they can receive it like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride

The orthodox and copts/armenians/ethiopians/ believe the same, altough they dont use the word Transubstantiation .
                  Interesting; I didn't know that. Thanks!
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                    Jesus called it meat, eat my meat and drink my blood
                    was he speaking Hebrew or Aramaic at the time? Probably not Greek, and certainly not English. In Hebrew "Basar" is used interchangeably for meat from the butcher ("basar kosher") and the make up of a humans body, often used poetically (dam v' basar - flesh and blood. etc). Not sure about Aramaic though.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

We Orthodox do believe in the literal transformation, though we don't talk about the physics of it, as in "transubstantiation." Our conception of divine mystery allows us to say that in some sense it is true, and leave it at that. I'm not speaking for the church here, but it seems that the bread and wine would not necessarily have to cease being bread and wine in order to become the B&BoC. After all, the point of the Incarnation was that God did not have to cease being God to become man. Bread and wine bear as much of a resemblance as human flesh does to an omnipotent, immortal, omnipresent being.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                      X