UK to begin withdrawing troops from Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK to begin withdrawing troops from Iraq

LONDON, England (CNN) -- British Prime Minister Tony Blair will order nearly half the British troops in Iraq home by the end of 2007, British news outlets reported early Wednesday.

The British Broadcasting Corporation and The Sun newspaper said Blair will tell the House of Commons on Wednesday that 1,500 soldiers will be back in Britain within weeks and that 3,000 of Britain's contingent of 7,000 will be back by the end of the year. (Watch how Blair told President Bush of the UK's plans Video)

"Control of the south of the country, unaffected by the civil war raging around Baghdad, will be handed back to the Iraqis," the tabloid Sun reported.

The move comes as the United States is sending more troops into Iraq in an effort to put down a wave of sectarian violence in Baghdad and pacify the western province of Anbar, the heart of the Sunni Arab insurgency.

In Washington, National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said President Bush has been grateful for British support "in the past and into the future."

"While the United Kingdom is maintaining a robust force in southern Iraq, we're pleased that conditions in Basra have improved sufficiently that they are able to transition more control to the Iraqis," Johndroe said in a statement issued Tuesday evening. "The United States shares the same goal of turning responsibility over to the Iraqi Security Forces and reducing the number of American troops in Iraq."

In November, Defense Secretary Des Browne said Britain planned to bring several thousand troops home from Iraq by the end of 2007, but he gave no specific numbers. The remaining troops would be used to train Iraqi military and police forces, provide backup for Iraqi troops and protect supply lines for British, U.S. and allied troops who remained.

But Blair said last month that an "arbitrary timetable" for withdrawal "would send the most disastrous signal to the people we are fighting in Iraq."

Britain contributed about 46,000 soldiers, sailors and air force personnel to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003. More than half of those troops were withdrawn within two months of the invasion, and the remaining contingent, now numbering about 7,000, was based mostly in the southern city of Basra.

The war has claimed more than 130 British lives and has never been popular with the British public. In January, as the United States announced plans to increase its contingent in Iraq by more than 20,000, British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett said London would not be following suit.

Opposition to the war has hurt Blair politically, with his ruling Labor Party losing seats in Parliament and in local elections in the past two years. The prime minister announced in September that he would leave office within a year.

Report of the withdrawal comes three days after reports that Prince Harry would deploy with his unit to Iraq in April or May. (Full story)

His father, Prince Charles, was a pilot with the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy. Harry's grandfather, Prince Philip, had a distinguished career in the Royal Navy. Harry's uncle, Prince Andrew, was a Royal Navy pilot and served in the Falklands War against Argentina 25 years ago.

The British public will be happy by this news, but even though Washington is publically appreciative, I wonder how Bush is seething privately.

Makes the war even more US-centric.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

The British public will be happy by this news, but even though Washington is publically appreciative, I wonder how Bush is seething privately.

Why would he be "seething privately"? This is an example of "Iraqis standing up so we can stand down"; Bush most likely welcomes it.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Sometimes I wonder, if all the money spent on military actions in Iraq would not have been better used at building infrastructure than using it to fight and maintain a military presence in Iraq. At the same times, you would also force Iraq to buy American material, device, etc... so, money would not have entirely been gave away freely.

And, I wonder if flooding a country of money(by dropping the embargo), technology, media, would not have been more efficient, than invading it...

I'm not a pacifism; I believe that Islamism, is a "new" form of Totalitarianism, and it have to be fight; anywhere it have been found. But at the same time; I think, they're maybe other way to fight this enemy.

Edit:
      Anybody have ever read The Foundation series by I. Asimov?
      Last edited by CrONoS; February 20, 2007, 21:13.
      bleh

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

Why would he be "seething privately"? This is an example of "Iraqis standing up so we can stand down"; Bush most likely welcomes it.
        Aside from the fact that there is no proof the Iraqis are 'standing up'. If Bush was really thinking the Iraqis can stand up right now, he wouldn't be discussing a "surge".
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Re: UK to begin withdrawing troops from Iraq

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

"we're pleased that conditions in Basra have improved sufficiently that they are able to transition more control to the Iraqis,"
          If it's true;
          bleh

Comment

If Bush was really thinking the Iraqis can stand up right now, he wouldn't be discussing a "surge".

The situations in Baghdad and Basra are very different.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Andy Rooney said we would all get $700 each if we pulled the troops out of Iraq. Man, some how I don't think I'm going to get it even if we do, but that would be cool.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                If Bush was really thinking the Iraqis can stand up right now, he wouldn't be discussing a "surge".

The situations in Baghdad and Basra are very different.
                Then you'd think that Bush would rather have those troops transfered to the 'problem area' rather than sent back to Europe.

Comment

Are you being deliberately obtuse?
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Are British troops unable to make the trip to Baghdad or something?

Comment

You think Bush should order the Brits to come help us stabilize our part of Iraq since they've done a good enough job in their part to start turning security over to the Iraqis?
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Um... I know this is a hard concept, but he could simply ask.

Comment

Working...
                        X