Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sirius and XM plan $13B merger -- does this strike anyone else as a terrible idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can it girlfriend, there's no such thing as Apple marketshare anymore. It could not be more irrelevant if I used rodenator on it. The simple reality is that Microsoft dominates-- you have said so yourself when dismissing apple as a cockroach in your kitchen. Why is a merger of two satellite radio stations, leading to domination such a bad thing? I'm tired of your games, and it's not even bed time.

Comment

So long as I can go to the local store and get a competitor's computer, there's no monopoly.

And I will not be your girlfriend.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
        Please, don't insult us with such claptrap, LS. It's beneath even you.
        LS is right here, at least to the extent that the Justice Department agrees with him (as do I). Sirius/XM provide a nearly identical service as terrestrial radio, somewhat better of course (hence paying at all) but ultimately competing with terrestrial radio (more expensive it gets, less people choose it). It also competes with TV to some extent, and increasingly with cellphone-driven media (watch TV-like stations on your cellphone, watch your slingbox on your cellphone, watch flash sites on your cellphone, etc.); honestly it's a service that probably has about a 20 to 30 year timeframe of profitability followed by a long decline in slight unprofitability (when only truckers use it).
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It's comparable to broadcast radio, but has virtually no similarity to the other media you mentioned. Competing for the infotainment dollar is not the test here. I'm not surprised at the DOJ decision; just saying I would have ruled differently. Consumers will ultimately pay more, or at least get less per dollar spent as premium programs get moved to more expensive tiers. But whatever. Like I said, hard to care.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
            There is currently only one manufacturer of Ferraris. OMG monopoly! Kille it!!!11
            Yep exactly. If you want to cry about the "market" for satellite radio being monopolized, you should yell about Netflix monopolizing the mail based movie rental market after Blockbuster bowed out. Its utterly silly to define the market so damned small.

Satellite radio competes against FM/AM radio (and is just about to make a profit against it), and will have even more problems competing in that market as HD radio becomes more and more prevalent.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              mail based movie rental market after Blockbuster bowed out.
              erm, blockbuster is still in the mail rental business.

Comment

Huh... what do you know?

I thought they left that whole thing. Oh well, imagine Netflix buying Blockbuster's mail based movie rental service then and carry on .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Indeed. Defining a market based on technology, as opposed to how consumers satisfy their particular wants, is silly.

What are teh various wants, and how big are their respective markets? Portable music is huge - broadcast radio, iPods, walkmen, etc. Satellite radio isn't a monopoly there. High-quality audio played on technologically advanced devices? MP3 players + Rhapsody/iTunes subscriptions count; satellite radio isn't a monopoly. High-quality audio on technologically advanced devices with someone else DJing for consumers who can change stations while paying a monthly fee? 3G-equipped cell phones can do that. No monopoly there.

For satellite radio to be considered a monopoly, you need to define teh market parameters so narrowly that it's so small as to be unrealistic.
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Huh... what do you know?

I thought they left that whole thing. Oh well, imagine Netflix buying Blockbuster's mail based movie rental service then and carry on .
                    yup. I have it, much prefer it to netflix-I get 3 free instore rentals a month (it was unlimited a year ago ), which is good when I don't want to wait. And the blu-ray movie delivery is decent for me thus far.

Comment

Has Canada approved this merger?
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

yup. I have it, much prefer it to netflix-I get 3 free instore rentals a month (it was unlimited a year ago ), which is good when I don't want to wait. And the blu-ray movie delivery is decent for me thus far.
                        I'm hoping both come to Canada soon to compete with Zip.ca. The other mail-DVD companies have pathetic selection (20,000 movies compared to the 82,000 for zip).

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                          People actually listen to satellite radio?
                          chyeaa. my father just got rid of ours though.

Comment

Working...
                          X