Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Night Zodiac Tried to Kill Me

This is a bizarre but true story...

Seasons in San Francisco aint exactly well defined, heat inversions when the Santa Ana winds blow to the south make for some of the best winter weather in the USA and summers dont inspire fears of global warming to say the least. So I cant remember what time of the year it was, or even the year this happened to me, but as I recall my friends and I were either 8th or 9th graders and it was 1973-74. We lived on Mt Davidson smack in the middle of the city and would eventually attend the newly built McAteer HS situated on Portola Dr on the southern slope of Twin Peaks.

Mt Davidson was famous for the massive concrete cross easily seen from across the bay at night when lit up, the cross would be featured in the Clint Eastwood movie "Dirty Harry" - inspired by none other than Zodiac himself. For entertainment my friends and I would walk down to the new HS to play around at night, they had batting cages made of hard plastic and we'd climb up on top and jump around for the trampoline effect.

We weren't really familiar with Zodiac even though he was infamous by then, its one thing to hear about some guy out there killing people and another to think he's trying to kill you. So we didn't fully understand the ramifications of what happened to us and we never filed any report with the police (others did we later learned).

After playing around on the batting cages one night we (4 of us) walked across the football field to the long staircase to the west leading up to the gym, the school itself was to our north about 200-300 yds sitting up on terraces maybe 50 feet above the field. As we neared the staircase we heard a "thwap" like sound, kinda like a bug hitting the windshield hard. We stopped very briefly to discuss what we had heard and continued walking and then heard it again, something was hitting the ground near us. After the second sound we knew this wasn't good and started running up the stairs. At least twice more we heard bullets hitting the concrete stairs we were climbing.

We made our escape behind the gym building and weren't real sure what had happened or we would have said something to people in authority, or at least our parents, but we later learned there were older people in the gym that night playing basketball and they did report being shot at, just the sound of bullets landing nearby, the shooter was using a silencer. Looking back I believe the shooter was at the eastern end of the school, easy access to a commanding view of both the field and the entrance to the gym.

I'd say he got off at least 4 shots at us... And I'll bet some of the bullets are still there in the ground just east of the main staircase...

Who is Zodiac?
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Subject of a new movie, he was killing people in the Bay Area (or was it just SF?) in the late 60s and early 70s.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac_Killer I guess

Comment

I read the thread title as "The Night Zoid Tried to Kill Me."
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

according to wiki he committed a rash of killings in '69 and continued writing letters until '74. Maybe thats why we weren't thinking about him when we were shot at, his killing spree was over and the cops aren't sure if he killed after that. He went silent after '74 but one of the suspects left the Bay Area in '74 and went back to Ohio where more murders occured.

Comment

He killed a cab drive in SF, killed one couple just outside of Vallejo on Lake Herman Road, and then killed another 3 or more people here in Napa Co. One of his victim, a man is still alive in the LA area, his girlfriend died. He only used a gun one time that we know of, and that was the cab driver.

A secretary at my old job believed she knew who he was. One day she without being asked by us, came into our office and started to tell the 3 of us what she knew and who she was scared of. She and her daughter did talk to the Vallejo and Napa police about this. Our secretary died about 3 to 5 years ago. I don't remember her name anymore. One of the suspects died about 5 to 8 years ago and they did a DNA on him and it came back no. I don't know if he was the one she told us about, but he did died before she did (sec).

Comment

As far as we know, Zodiac never was a sniper killer. The one person known to have been killed with a gun was at relatively close range.

Which doesn't negate that someone was trying to kill you.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

makes it unlikely it was Zodiac. But who knows, he did use different means to off people. Maybe thats why he didn't hit us

One of my neighborhood buddies (Jack Hanson) got a bit part in Dirty Harry as one of the kids on the schoolbus, his dad was an ABC weatherman.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                    I read the thread title as "The Night Zoid Tried to Kill Me."
                    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

You should have told someone.

Bullets in dirt are a lot better then bullets broken to bits after hitting concrete or brick. Much better chance of getting a whole bullet to use for comparision purposes. After all this time the field has probably been re-graded with heavy equipment. It's common practice re do the topmost layers of soil to help with water run off and absorbtion. So the playing field has a uniform ability to shed water after rain storms.

Come of to think of it, you might as well make a statement. You never know when this sort of info might be useful to law enforcement.

Comment

So i missed. No need to make a thread just for that, jeeez.
                        What?

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
                          So i missed. No need to make a thread just for that, jeeez.
                          I blame Cheney. Since then he has completed his training in use of the dark side of the force.
                          Attached Files
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                          X