NMSU prof finds world's hottest chile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMSU prof finds world's hottest chile

Now we're talking hot, and it's the Indians that have it.

RUSH THE INDIANS!

Hot stuff!
    NMSU prof finds world's hottest chile
    By New Mexico State University
    Article Launched: 02/17/2007 05:05:00 AM MST

LAS CRUCES — When Paul Bosland exhaled after taking a bite of the world's hottest chile pepper, it felt like he was breathing fire.

"Got milk?" was the first thought to cross his mind, he said.

The next thing Bosland thought, after gulping down a soda, was, "That chile has got to be some kind of record."

He was right.

In the fall of 2006, the Guinness Book of Records confirmed that New Mexico State University Regent's Professor Paul Bosland had indeed discovered the world's hottest chile pepper, Bhut Jolokia — at 1,001,304 Scoville Heat Units, the pepper is nearly twice as hot as Red Savina, the chile pepper variety it replaces as the world's hottest.

"The name Bhut Jolokia translates as 'ghost chile,'" Bosland said, "We're not sure why they call it that, but I think it's because the chile is so hot, you give up the ghost when you eat it!"

According to Bosland, Bhut Jolokia is native to northeastern India. A member of NMSU's Chile Pepper Institute visiting India sent Bhut Jolokia seeds back to NMSU for testing in 2001.

Bosland reported that the variety has compelling potential in the packaged food industry as a food additive. The pepper could be pickled while still green, dehydrated and used as a seasoning. Because the heat is so concentrated, less would be needed and food manufacturers would save money.

"This isn't something you'd pickle whole and eat," Bosland said, "but it could replace dehydrated jalapeno as an additive."

Bhut Jolokia is not NMSU's first brush with chile greatness; the record-holder for world's largest chile pepper is a specimen of the 'NuMex Big Jim' variety. The record-holder was grown near Hatch, but the variety was developed at NMSU.

What are Scoville Units?

A pharmacist named Wilbur Scoville invented the Scoville Scale in 1912 to measure the heat of peppers. A "Scoville Unit" is actually a measure of capsaicin (the chemical in hot peppers that is responsible for their heat).

Scoville's test was a comparative taste test that is considered subjective by today's standards. A more sophisticated method is in use today, but in honor of Wilbur Scoville, the unit of measure is still called the Scoville.

Source: www.tabasco.com

In comparison ...

The following chart is an approximation of heat, used to compare the relative spiciness of peppers:

Pepper Type/Heat rating (in Scoville heat units)

Habanero/200,000-300,000

Red Amazon/75,000

Pequin/75,000

Chiltecepin/70,000-75,000

Tabasco/30,00-50,000

Cayenne/35,000

Arbol/25,000

Smoked Jalapeño (Chipotle)/10,000

Serrano/7,000-25,000

Guajillo/5,000

Jalapeño/3,500-4,500

Poblano/2,500-3,000

Pasilla/2,500

Anaheim/1,000-1,400

New Mexican/1,000

Ancho/1,000

Bell & Pimento/0

Source: www.wiw.org
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

I ate a habanero once, and wasn't impressed.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

BTW, I read the thread title as "NMSU prof finds the world's hottest chick."
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
        I ate a habanero once, and wasn't impressed.
        cooked or uncooked?

Comment

Uncooked.

Comment

Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up with a strawberry or something?
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
              BTW, I read the thread title as "NMSU prof finds the world's hottest chick."
              I actually read it as a babe thread about chilean hotties

Here is one
              Attached Files
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

NMSU My sister goes to school there.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                  NMSU My sister goes to school there.
                  Post a pic

/me runs

Comment

I have already posted at least two pictures of her on the A/C thread. However, she's married, and her husband is a demo expert in the Army. So I suggest running really fast...

Comment

The pepperfoam I carry I think is about 5,000,000 shu.

Try some of THAT on your pizza!
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

lol... once had a guy who was drunk and probably a transient, and wouldn't leave. Cop comes, your traditional chicago cop (well, somewhat lighter than your traditional chicago cop, but anyway), maybe 6'0" 180#, and gets in the (6'2", 140#) guy's face, and says, "LEAVE." Guy keeps complaining he wasn't doing anything. Gets out the pepper spray, mentions it, guy leaves immediately.

"They hate the pepper spray," the cop says afterwards.

Comment

Almost 5 times this pepper? OMG.
                          This pepper looks like it's burning up from the inside out, blistering it.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You can fight through pepper spray.

You can't fight through a tazer.
                            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                            X