why does GPL software always seem to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why does GPL software always seem to

Offer the GPL as a click-through license on the installer? Isn't that completely pointless, as the GPL isn't a use license?

GPL?
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Go away silly biologist. Wikipedia is your friend.

Comment

Go and w*nk off in one of your varied bathrooms
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

They're all 250 miles away

Comment

If all of the GPL software on my computer always offered the GPL as a clickthrough license on the installer, I wouldn't be done clicking yet. I guess it's there just to make Windows users feel comfortable .
            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              They're all 250 miles away
              I didn't expect your house to be so big
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

He uses a neighbor's outhouse.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well, a part of the GPL is actually a use license

NO WARRANTY

11. BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY
                  FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN
                  OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES
                  PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED
                  OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
                  MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS
                  TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE
                  PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING,
                  REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

12. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING
                  WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR
                  REDISTRIBUTE THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES,
                  INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING
                  OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED
                  TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY
                  YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER
                  PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE
                  POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
                  http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

And they wonder why people don't read them
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Thue
                      Well, a part of the GPL is actually a use license
                      From wiki:

Those who do not abide by or agree to the GPL's terms and conditions do not have permission, under copyright law, to copy or distribute GPL licensed software or derivative works. However, they may still use the software however they like.

Comment

So, you've answered your own question right there. You either agree to it, or you use the software without modifying it.

Perhaps they should (and perhaps they do?) have an option for allowing it to be used if you click "no" ... but I suspect a lot of GPL-users don't think about it that way.
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

So, you've answered your own question right there. You either agree to it, or you use the software without modifying redistributing it.

Agreed, but that makes the click-through license completely pointless. I don't need to agree to the license to use it, and I could (technically, not legall) redistribute the installer without clicking yes to the license.

Comment

Working...
                          X