Bionic eye restores sight to the blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tacc
    Isn't there some condition where a person is unable to consciously "see" things, but their brain continues to process the information being recieved from the eyes and thus they operate as if they can see?
    Yep, there is.
    A phenomenon called Blindsight.
    The person think it is blind (and is for most means),
    If you ask him/her about the object in her blind field of view (often the blindness is onnly onesided) he/she will answer that he/she doesn´t see them.
    But if you for example ask him//her to grab or touch a certain object wihthin the blind field of view, he/she will correctly do so (and will be unable to explain how he/she has done it).

The problem very pßrobably stems from a severation of neural connections to the visual association cortex, thus making the person unable to, as you already said, consciously see objects. But as the connections between the visual system and other parts of the brain (for example the motor cortex) are still intact, the person is still able to perform certain task that require visual input, as if she isn´t blind.

Oh and for the Thread Tpic:
    Cyber Eyes
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

If I get such an implant, I want lasers fitted in mine...
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

And show everyone that you are special?

Na, I rather want mine to look like normal eyes but fitted with certain additions not visible to the outer side, like several modes of vision (IR, low light, UV and polarization of light at least) and maybe a smartgun link, making a targeting cross appear in my field of vision as soon as I take any weapon equipped for this in my hands.

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Powerful lasers, enough to vapourise people if they annoy me...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

O.K., that would make sense.

Although it is a pity, that this would only work outside of the internet. Looks to me like the internet would make a more target rich environment for the laser

Comment

Yeah, wouldn't that be great, I could fire them into the monitor and they would come back out at the correct monitor. Alas all that would really happen is I'd blow up my monitor
              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

pretty much everything in humans can be artificially produced except nerve cells with enough $$$. this isn't exactly breaking news.

Comment

Yes it is.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Wonder why they want to test it in churches.
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                      pretty much everything in humans can be artificially produced except nerve cells with enough $$$. this isn't exactly breaking news.
                      They can, too,
                      but not with todays technology

The problem with the retina is, that you need milions of sensors on a very small surface to replicate the human retina and have to take care that they stimulate the right parts of the optic nerve.
                      So even an artificial retina that allows blind people to recognize faces is a great archivement.

Comment

How long before certain crazies start calling curing blindness "cultural genocide of the blind culture"? I rember some identity politics nuts going batsh*t over cochlear implants for the deaf for that reason.

Comment

is a great archivement
                          sure it is

my point is that it was predictable, inevitable. Just like 1GHz PC's were known to be inevitable in the early 80s for those who didn't lack vision (not talking about the literal one now, mind you).

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                            You're very wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                              How long before certain crazies start calling curing blindness "cultural genocide of the blind culture"? I rember some identity politics nuts going batsh*t over cochlear implants for the deaf for that reason.
                              Pretty fast I guess. I wouldn't mind doing some on those that tries to prevent those hearing implants .
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                                You're very wrong.
                                and you are a worthless teenager parasite who doesn't know jack **** about anything outside your very narrow living environment paid and upkept by your daddy but insists on pretending to be an expert on everything -- but we all knew that already, didn't we?

hint: "can" does not equal "has been"

Comment

Working...
                                X