1/2 Hour News Hour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2 Hour News Hour

So, Fox "leaked" a clip of the show, but to be honest, it's just... not that funny.

A clip of Joel Surnow's "The Half Hour News Hour" which will air on Fox News Channel

From the canned laughter to the SNL-style fake news, it's like the bad days of the Daily Show where they made **** up.

Naturally, it's gotten some unfavorable reviews, largely from left-leaning sites, but still...

I will take issue with some of the commentary, in that they say conservatives can't be funny--PJ O'Rourke, for example.

Anyway, thoughts on this clip?
    nowai! it r teh sux
    60.00%
    omgwtfbbq ya liek totly
    20.00%
    omgbananaphone
    20.00%
    B♭3

This is about ten times worse than the worst of Weekend Update...
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

The Marion Barry line might have been funny with the proper setup and delivery... I almost chuckled as it was... the rest was about as lame as it gets.

Comment

Re: 1/2 Hour News Hour

Originally posted by Q Cubed
        it's like the bad days of the Daily Show where they made **** up.

Anyway, thoughts on this clip?
        So how is this different from regular Fox News?

Comment

Re: Re: 1/2 Hour News Hour

Originally posted by Verto

So how is this different from regular Fox News?
          Regular Fox News is not trying to be funny.
          B♭3

Comment

If this is the same clip I already saw, then I agree that it isn't that funny. The laughtrack really makes it seem lame.

I disagree with your bashing of the old Daily Show, though. Old Daily Show > new Daily Show. Comedy's funnier when there's no agenda behind it...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

24 has to be the most unfunny show on television. Joel Surnow should have stuck with 24, and not tried to branch into the funny business.
              "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Re: Re: Re: 1/2 Hour News Hour

Originally posted by Q Cubed

Regular Fox News is not trying to be funny.
                Are you sure? There's no way they're trying to be serious.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                  I disagree with your bashing of the old Daily Show, though. Old Daily Show > new Daily Show. Comedy's funnier when there's no agenda behind it...
                  Often, but not always true. More often than not, however, the target of the Daily Show is the news media, and not the Right, no matter how much they rant about it.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Yep, the Daily Show is at its most brilliant when it goes after the media. See the recent Anna Nicole Smith segment, f'r instance. That's the big innovation to the Weekend Update (or Leno/Letterman/etc.) scheme: the target's ultimately the media, rather than celebrity personalities. And of course, the Colbert Report is the distillation of the concept, which is partially why it's so brilliant.

And Craig Kilborn was terrible
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

The Craig Kilborn-era Daily Show went after the media far more than the Stewart-era Daily Show does. It was their raison d'être. And the interviews were actually funny when Kilborn was there. Craiggers...
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Man, that was soo painful.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That was god awful. The deliveries were bad, the punchlines were all callable, and the segment on BO magazine elicited the one chuckle of the clip and enough "grrrrross" ("Barack Obama Positions Guaranteed to Drive Voters Wild") to nullify any laughter for the next hour. The anchorman made me want to hurl.

If Fox News is really going to air this, future people remembering back will remember this show as the beginning of the end for them.

If they're really going to air this, I can't wait to hear the reports of Faux junkies not being able to tell that it's a joke show.
                          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Red Eye is funny though, so Fox is batting .500 on their new comedy shows. Gutfeld's mom...
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X