Kansas comes to its senses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas comes to its senses

The school board returns evolution to the class room!
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I wouldn´t want to be a shool kid in Kansas.
    The kids are really being driven into madness by the almost every year changing teachings about TOE and ID

Hope this one will last btw.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Can we evict Kansas from the Union on the grounds that it is just to silly to remain?

Comment

If we could Florida would be long gone.

Comment

We have to do something about these damn school boards, who somehow think high school is a proper forum for scientific debate. High school is the place to teach consensus. If you want to debate, go to the graduate schools and submit articles.

Comment

Don't be ridiculous. Floriday has DisneyWorld and, on the coastline, lots of nearly naked babes.

Edit: And sunken pirate treasure!!

Comment

I don't think Evolution is necessary in High School in any case. It's just one of those token divisive issues like (gay) marriage that government should just keep out of altogether.

We need to teach kids the 3 R's with some health and home ec thrown in. A basic computer course is probably a good idea too. US history if we really want to go (patriotic) crazy, though something less "history" and more "how our government works" would be best. Then let the kids and their parents further their education as they see fit.

An understanding of evolution isn't a basic necessity in life, nor a requirement for the vast majority of jobs out there. The same can be said of the trivia stuff kids are taught in History and Geography. Sure it would be great if everyone had a well-rounded education... but the fact is that those who will have a well-rounded education would get it on their own... those who it's forced on just end up passing it up, or discarding it after graduation anyways. We shouldn't waste resources on so much inapplicable throw-away fact stuffing... especially when knowing how to use a search engine can cover all of it much more quickly.

Comment

If Americans become any more ignorant of history than they already are, I'm going to shoot myself.
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

/me has a plan

Comment

Tass is as good as dead, no plan needed...

Comment

I dont think the board ever removed evolution from the classroom. What they didn't remove are the facts, teachers could still teach them...

Comment

Who came up with the theory of evolution, anyway? Wasn't it Einstein? I think he thought it up while he was perfecting the light bulb...
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

why do you torment me
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DrS
                              We have to do something about these damn school boards, who somehow think high school is a proper forum for scientific debate. High school is the place to teach consensus. If you want to debate, go to the graduate schools and submit articles.
                              This is very familiar.

So who are you then?

Last Conformist?
                              Originally posted by Last Conformist

The schools aren't a forum of debate, and the scientific community isn't closed.
                              Krazy Horse?
                              Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              That should read "the schools aren't properly a forum for debate"
                              Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              I'm using them as an indoctrination center. The only debate I'm interested in is among scientists.
                              or possibly Ramo?

Originally posted by Ramo
                              They? The children? If they're interested enough and are smart enough in a topic, they can pursue higher education, and publish informed criticism in scientific journals.

Comment

Working...
                              X