Pulling The Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling The Plug

This guy I know had a massive heart attack, and they pulled the plug Saturday morning. He's still here, though they say the outlook is gloomy, the last I heard.

I got to thinking, let's say he recovers. He asks Diane, his wife, he says, " You did what? You had them pull the plug?"

I've thought about this from time to time, pulling the plug or having it pulled.
    Multiple answer poll, on pulling and having the plug pulled.
    Yes, I'd have the plug pulled on a loved one
    47.37%
    No, I wouldn't have the plug pulled on a loved one
    0.00%
    I would want the plug to be pulled
    36.84%
    I would NOT want the plug to be pulled
    0.00%
    What's the question? Does it involve a banana?
    15.79%
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

That Seinfeld was on yesterday... I'd want Elaine in charge.

Comment

Did on my father...it was, by far, for the best.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I don't know how to answer this question. It can be so situational that there isn't a pat answer
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I think I could want the plug pulled easier than I could have it pulled, but that goes back to selfishness probably. Not wanting to let someone dear go.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I dont understand, if he is still there what was the plug for?
            I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
              I don't know how to answer this question. It can be so situational that there isn't a pat answer
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                I dont understand, if he is still there what was the plug for?
                To keep everything from leaking out.

Comment

Crud...I don't know what Poly won't let me vote in these matters.

Add on one more for "I'd pull the plug."

It took my mom six years to die...in ever increasing pain. Towards the end, no pain killer could block it out. That was horrible for her, and not any fun for me to watch.

Once she asked me to smuggle her in "a pill." --Of course, the problem with that is under current law, if I had, it would have been murder.

If I could have legally ended her suffering, I would have.
                  That, of course, is enthenasia, which is not what Sloww's asking about. He's asking about stopping treatment.

My mom had a living will. It instructed doctors and everyone that, if there were no reasonable hope, there were to be no "heroic efforts." So, for me, Sloww's question is an easy one. Sure, I'd pull the plug.

Comment

I called the hospital and Diane was there. Talked with her. He's not ready. He may be ready, but the time hasn't come. She's ready. I imagine it's really tough.

Comment

It depends on the situation. If it were me, if I were brain dead, or had significant brain damage (no awareness of what's going on, no possibility of recovery) yeah, pull the plug. Comatose? If I haven't woken up in a certain amount of time (a year? 6mos? - I haven't decided yet), pull the plug.
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Depends.. when there's just no chance, and say the person isn't even there, awake or anything, and the medical experts say that there's just no way for recovery, no waking up, nothing.. then I guess pull the plug. Basically pull the plug when there's no point keeping it on.

But, that said, it should be the last resort. If I was totally brain dead, I wish the plug would be pulled. If they can say I'm not aware of things, I'm basically gone, pull it. There's just no point with it anymore. Just be sure that the situation is like this though.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I would want the plug to be pulled.
                          I would pull the plug, if that is what the other person wanted.
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

for me, its about be quality of life, so please pull my plug

If the wishes of the loved one were to pull, I wold honor the wish
                            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

I would ask the loved ones before they had their accident if possible.

If they left no clear intentions, then of course keep them going for a reasonably long time, but if there is absolutely no improvement and the doctors call it persistently vegetative then pull it. That's what I would want if I was the vegetable.

I'm talking about a time frame of a few months. People will have to pull sooner or later depending on how much is affordable, unfortunately, but if that was what was affordable that's what I would do.
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                              X