Muslim priest in a Hindu temple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslim priest in a Hindu temple

This is quite an interesting story. I don't really know what to make of it. Neither, I think, will many others.

Link

Visakhapatnam

This is the essence of secular India. Respect and tolerance for all faiths. In a shining example of this, Payakaraopeta, a village in this district has a Muslim pujari at its Durga temple. He, like any other pujari, chants prayers in Sanskrit, helps visitors with their puja and also carries out all the rituals. What sets him apart is his name—Sheikh Mira Sahib.

Payakaraopeta is located close to Tuni, a small town known for its betel leaf production. Every Monday, over a hundred people from several nearby villages climb the unpaved steps of Seethamma hill to pray to the goddess. Mira Sahib guides them all in performing various rites and the worshippers acknowledge him as their pujari.

With a shaven head, barechested and wearing a dhoti, Mira Sahib begins his day at the temple at 7 am in the morning and spends his time till late afternoon in saying prayers and helping the pilgrims. He then returns home and attends to his chores. His earning is the dakshina that is given to him by the devotees.

“I used to herd buffaloes about 25 years ago. I also used to help in weeding the path on this hill for archeologists who were looking for some old relics and hidden caves,’’ Mira reminisces. “One day my gunapam (spear-like tool) hit something irregular. It was an idol of goddess Durga. There were a few idols lying about uncared for, so I tossed this one also downhill. I came home and forgot about what I did. That night in my sleep the goddess appeared before me as my daughter. She demanded that I perform puja to her daily. Then she vanished. I was nonplussed and didn’t know what to do for some time. Then I made up my mind to follow her instructions,’’ says he. The next day Mira went back to the hill and installed the idol at the place he had found it. A few weeks later he began performing the puja to her.

“I learned a few mantras by listening to other worshippers. Later, I learned them properly from my guru Subramanya Sastry. He taught me in spite of opposition from some people,’’ he recollects. A Muslim priest in a Hindu temple, especially in a small community, does raise many eyebrows. But the village folks have rallied around him. They hardly react when asked how they could have a Muslim pujari in a Durga temple. K Babji, a benefactor of the temple, was happy to clarify the situation. He says, “As far as we are concerned, it is Mira who brought the Mother to us. He has been conducting the worship and the vows with utmost sincerity, staying on the hill sometimes for three months at a stretch.’’

While the village has embraced Mira’s mantras, his son, Sheik Khan Sahib, does not approve of his father’s penchant for puja. Though Mira devotedly performs puja, he has not given up on his own religion. Recently he helped in the construction of a mosque.
    He's obviously no longer really Muslim, because he's the priest, for God's sake, of an idol of a Hindu goddess.

I'd love to see the faces of the clerics of the Darul Uloom when they hear of this.

This is just plain..... weird, I guess. He's sincere and genuine enough, and the people like him and his performance of the service, so who am I to comment?

Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

What won't those crazy Indians do next?

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Hmm, a convert. He better watch his back.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Is it wrong that I find this incredibly inane/
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
            Hmm, a convert. He better watch his back.

-Arrian
            He isn't a convert, actually. He still is formally a Muslim, just that he's a practising priest in a Hindu temple.

I know, it's beyond weird. But this is India.

Comment

As you pointed out, though, that does not compute. He's no longer a Muslim if he's a practicing Hindu.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                As you pointed out, though, that does not compute. He's no longer a Muslim if he's a practicing Hindu.

-Arrian
                The problem is, if you try to point that out to other Indians, you'll be called a bigot and a communalist and all sorts of other names. Such is the nature of Indian secularism.

In fact, I think even the guy in question would be pretty offended if you told him that he was not Muslim.

Comment

I thought this was the beginning of a joke. You know, a muslim guy walks into a Hindu temple, looks around and asks "where's the beef".

Thank you. Thank you. I'll be here all week.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

A vegetarian walks into McDonalds. Fat beef eaters eat the vegetarian, but God won't save the vegetarian because he/she was an atheist. Hilarity ensues.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

wtf pekka?

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        I thought this was the beginning of a joke. You know, a muslim guy walks into a Hindu temple, looks around and asks "where's the beef".

Thank you. Thank you. I'll be here all week.
                        Go back to physics jokes.

On second thought...

Comment

i actually like KH's joke.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

That's not the point.

Comment

This guy reminds me of an onion article:

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                              X