• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrorists win

Meinhof gang killer to be freed

Meinhof gang killer to be freed

Brigitte Mohnhaupt was once called the most evil woman in Germany
    A former member of the Baader-Meinhof gang is to be freed on probation after serving 24 years for her involvement in kidnappings and murders in the 1970s.

German court ruled that Brigitte Mohnhaupt, 57, qualifies for early release after serving a minimum proportion of her five life sentences.

The group, also known as the Red Army Faction, were behind kidnaps and killings in West Germany.

The prospect of Mohnhaupt's release has sparked a fierce debate in Germany.

Mohnhaupt was convicted of involvement in nine murders. Victims included a judge, a banker and the employers' federation president.

The BBC's Steve Rosenberg, in Berlin, says she was once described as the most evil and dangerous woman in West Germany.

Separately, another prominent Red Army prisoner, Christian Klar, is seeking early release.

He has applied to the German president for a pardon.

Our correspondent says the prospect of Mohnhaupt and Klar being freed has sparked controversy in Germany and revived memories of one of the bloodiest episodes in the country's post-war history.

'No remorse'

The RAF sought to combat what it saw as capitalist oppression of workers and US imperialism.

It was active from about 1970 - having grown out of student anti-Vietnam war protests - until 1992, when it abandoned violence. It formally disbanded in 1998.

One of the group's most prominent targets was the German industrialist Hans Martin Schleyer - who was kidnapped in September 1977 and shot six weeks later.

Speaking before the court ruling, Mr Schleyer's son Joerg said members of the group had expressed no remorse for the killing.

"I can't understand that we would take [let] them out because within the last 30 years there's nothing they said - 'OK we're sorry we murdered your father, sorry for that, we murdered policemen, sorry for that.' Absolutely no word."

The court in Stuttgart said Mohnhaupt would be released on five years probation on 27 March.

"This is not a pardon, rather a decision that is based on specific legal considerations," the court said in a statement, Reuters news agency reported.

"The decision for probation was reached based on the determination that no security risk exists."
    Discuss
    Blah

Terrorists win

LOL n00b
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

being part of 9 murders? Getting five x life? 24 years, so a life sentence is at minimum ... less than 5 years? wtf Germany?
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Az
        Terrorists win

LOL n00b
        Blah

Comment

on a more serious note, It sucks, but I don't think it sucks more than many a murderer being released early. And seriously, attaching the whole "gang" nickname to terror groups usually smells of putting a brave face against an organization one fears.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

"Gang" is probably meant to translate German Bande. It's a gang in the sense of a criminal group, which is spot on for Baader-Meinhof.

Now, why I see no particular reason why Klar's pardon should be granted, there doesn't seem to be anything particularly wrong here. Mohnhaupt seems to be treated like any other criminal.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

qualifies for early release after serving a minimum proportion of her five life sentences.

The decision for probation was reached based on the determination that no security risk exists

so what? arent there any other criteria beyond not puting the jail on fire? everyone who serves the minimum and has not threatened to continue his actions gets to be released?

WOH Germany?
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Mohnhaupt is directly responsible for the killing of 7 people and numerous other offenses. To this day, she has not expressed even the slightest remorse for any of her actions. She should be kept incarcerated for the duration of her natural life, as ordered by the court. I fail to see any rationale for letting her go. There are no mitigating circumstances that would warrant her release.

Comment

Death penalty.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It boggles my mind, why anyone would let out a famous terrorist, with multiple murders and no remorce. How do you let someone like that out, _EVER_?

That's pretty ****ing stupid. If there's a deserving person to never see freedom again.. hello? It's this person?

This is typical in here as well, when the absolute minimum has been served, they have to let someone out unless they like killed someone else during their penalty. Why? It's the Minimum, not the maximum.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                      Now, why I see no particular reason why Klar's pardon should be granted, there doesn't seem to be anything particularly wrong here. Mohnhaupt seems to be treated like any other criminal.
                      Exactly. Even the son of victim Buback said he had no particular problkem with Mohnhaupt coming free since this is the general practice in Germany's legal system. This may be a good starting point to question the German approach to criminal offenders generally, but right at this point she should be treated like all criminals in Germany and not differently, otherwise we could forget the legal state as a whole.

There's no reason though to release Klar however, who relies on a pardon from the president to get free now. And such a pardon IMO requires at least full remorse, among other things.
                      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Why give someone "five life sentences" and then let them out after 24 years?

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Didnt they kill former nazis?
                          I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                            Mohnhaupt is directly responsible for the killing of 7 people and numerous other offenses. To this day, she has not expressed even the slightest remorse for any of her actions. She should be kept incarcerated for the duration of her natural life, as ordered by the court. I fail to see any rationale for letting her go. There are no mitigating circumstances that would warrant her release.
                            You don't need mitigating circumstances to get standard treatment.
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                              Didnt they kill former nazis?
                              No.

They killed ordinary people, plus bankers, politicians etc.
                              "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                              "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Working...
                              X