• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teh French are teh silly

French unions wage war on words
    By Caroline Wyatt
    BBC Paris correspondent

French trades unions have discovered a new enemy to protest against: the English language.

Leading the charge of the French language brigade in its latest skirmish against the invading Anglo-Saxon force is French MP Jacques Myard.

Unusually for an MP on the right of the political spectrum, the troops following him into battle are French trades unionists and language pressure groups, united in a new French Resistance.

They argue that the English language has colonised French screens, large and small, infiltrated French music, and is now conquering the French workplace as well, in e-mails or "les e-mails", and on "le web" or "l'internet" and even on "les news".

'Respect people'

All this has to stop, insists Monsieur Myard. "I think this is very dangerous, because the French language is the spirit of France and of every Frenchman," he says.

"So it would be a big mistake for enterprises who want to do business in France to impose their own culture. We French were imperialists long before them, so we know how it works."

Delivering his defence of the French language in perfect English, Mr Myard continues: "It is time for us to react and say to businesses - stop your nonsense! Respect people. Learn French. Learn German, learn Chinese and Arabic, as well as English."

A French manager at Areva, the French nuclear firm, sent an e-mail to his French workers informing them of the death of a colleague - in English. Why?
    Jean-Loup Cuisiniez
    CFTC trade union
    The French have already legislated against the English language encroaching too much in songs on the radio by means of a quota limiting English pop, rock and rap, but the language just keeps creeping back in via other routes.

According to a survey brandished by the French trades unions at their press conference in Parliament today, 7% of French firms already use English as their main language, while multi-nationals routinely send e-mails to their French workers in English regardless of whether they understand them.

Jean-Loup Cuisiniez of the CFTC trade union says the trend towards using English in the workplace here is both dangerous and insulting to French workers.

"A French manager at Areva, the French nuclear firm, sent an e-mail to his French workers informing them of the death of a colleague - in English. Why? There is something wrong when that happens," he says.

Monsieur Cuisiniez also believes that safety, as well as efficiency, could be compromised if workers do not understand instructions given to them in a foreign language.

He himself speaks five languages including English, Spanish and Japanese, but worries that monoglot French workers in factories and offices may feel unable to admit to their lack of English.

"They might not want to confess that they don't understand instructions, and that could be very dangerous," he says, "especially if workers fear that they could be sidelined if management discover their lack of English."

He himself refused to use English-language software for his computer at work, eventually forcing his company to back down and provide it in French.

French decline

Yet Pierre Kosciusko-Morizet, CEO of the French internet company priceminister.com, believes that this rearguard action against the infiltration of English comes too late.

His firm, based in trendy loft-style offices in northern Paris, does business in several languages including English and now Spanish, and he too speaks fluent English.

"I wish that French were the global language of business," he sighs. "Because my French is better than my English. But it isn't. English has become the international language. And I don't believe that the right way to go about things is by banning a language - that is not how English became a global language."

Recently, the new American head of a merged Franco-American telecoms firm was reported to have announced that she had no plans to learn French before coming to meet her colleagues, much to the chagrin of her French staff.

All this has made some in France fear that the decline in the use of the French language - both in international diplomacy and business - goes hand in hand with the decline of French influence on the world stage and its importance as a global power.

However, few French are yet willing to admit defeat on the language front, even as "les businessmen" and "les managers" continue to help the enemy's sneaky advance into French territory.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

France
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

French linguistic policies are very un-democratic, ask the basques, catalans, occitans, gascons, bretons, corsicans etc
      I need a foot massage

Comment

I don't know any
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          France

France

The first and second time I tried to post that I got this message. Both times I took out half of the thumbs-downs.
          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
          The video may avatar is from

Comment

God has punished the French for eating the frogs;
            as a polish proverb says, if God wants to punish someone, the first thing He takes from him is brain.
            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
            Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
              French linguistic policies are very un-democratic, ask the basques, catalans, occitans, gascons, bretons, corsicans etc
              The idea that a seven languages state can rise to democracy has yet to be demonstrated.
              Statistical anomaly.
              The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Let's nuke France... except for maybe Spiffor.

Or wait, maybe I have that backwards. Let's nuke Spiffor, and not the rest of France.

I'm so confused.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT

The idea that a seven languages state can rise to democracy has yet to be demonstrated.
                  Well. Aside from India with its, what, 16 or so official languages?
                  Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                  -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Now you people get it? We can't possibly make it with these megalomaniacs in the EU.

We must kill the French people with no mercy. THe only reason some people in weird locations might talk a little France is because these Frenchies went there and killed them, raped their families and burned their children to 'learn manners'. The Frenchies are the most brutal colonialist force in the modern history, and quite frankly are guilty of most European caused tragedies in the world. Now they think they can just say no no, it was everyone else? No. It was you Frenchies, you smelly idiots.

Remember how your fascist police used to treat Algerians? Or what about Algerians IN France? People died in the hands of police, I guess that's the civilized French interrogation. It is shown that the combination of French police and their hatred for brown people is already a world record, then they have the guts to cry when US has Guantamo? They should focus on their own problems first and fix them.

It is no coincidence this rat infested gene pool nation has rampaged through the world the last few centuries. They are all suffering from inferiority complex. Napoleon anyone? Running in pantyhose, wearing a wig and make up, trying to act tough. I mean, being short woudl be the least of my worries at that point.

And now the Frenchies think they still are like an important country? Face the music, France is ****. No one cares. You can die, you can all just die and we wouldn't even bother to piss on your graves, too much effort.
                    Last edited by Pekka; February 9, 2007, 02:52.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild

Well. Aside from India with its, what, 16 or so official languages?
                      Seven official languages for a population of 60 millions is equivalent to 140 official languages for a population of 1200 millions. I guess that there were many other languages not officialized at the independance, and some are likely still existing.
                      Statistical anomaly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                        No one cares.
                        Fortunately YOU care enough to write a well documented and clever post.
                        Statistical anomaly.

Comment

Figures, this is the only thing you can reply. I care that you LIVE. That is, it frustrates me. If you were all demolished, I wouldn't care.

There is a difference. The French population has seen enough for the rest of us to say they are doomed IMO.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

If there's one thing France needs, it's more petit bourgeois nationalism.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT

Well, In spain Catalan, Basque and Galician are co-official in the "autonomous communities" they are spoken.
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                              X