Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who shall be the candidate of the Republican Party?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

True, but they have a disproportionate impact on the primary process, in the same way that the loony left wing of the Dems does on their primary process. The primary process overall favors motivated, organized, activist types over less-energized voters.
    I guess my question is are they as motivated about hating the LDS as much as they are about hating Roe v Wade? Its one thing for a minority to have impact on their number one issue, its another for them to have an impact on something where everyone else goes WTF?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Its the same tax cut, but now its a question of repealing it, not passing it.
      That's the excuse he used, but sounds like nonsense to me. Just trying to win over the Tory right.

Being out front on the surge has little upside for him
      That wasn't true before Bush co-opted his idea...

Ditto his positions on torture, which hurt him on the right, and didnt help much with the center.
      Seemed like bad tactics more than anything else. He thought that caving on the repeal of habeas corpus would give him cred on the right, and that meekly standing up against torture would win him cred in the center.

You think McCain would take any position to get elected?
      No, just that he's pandering more than most pols...
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

No, just that he's pandering more than most pols...
        His position on the surge WASNT exactly adopted by the Bush admin. He could easily have said that the 21,000 troops wasnt enough, or that Bush hadnt gotten firm enough commitment from Maliki (Which is basically what hillary said - about Maliki, not about more troops) And on torture, as far as i can tell he thought hed gotten overall a good deal he could live with.

I dont see him as more of a panderer than most pols. Hes clearly in a difficult position as a relative centrist in a conservative party - the same problem that faces Hillary, or Biden. Until such time as we have a strong centrist party that breaks from the old parties, thats gonna be a prob for centrist politicians. He also has the disadvantage of a long career in the Senate, during which hes had to take a lot of positions.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

You could say that 21,000 isn't enough, but then you'd have to say where you're going to get substantially more. And the logistics just don't allow that, short of a draft... It's true that his position wasn't exactly co-opted by Bush, because he didn't really have an honest position.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

And on torture, as far as i can tell he thought hed gotten overall a good deal he could live with.
            If he could "live with" the gutting of habeas corpus (remember, we're talking about the Specter Amendment, not the entire bill), no one has any business portraying hims as a centrist. I sincerely hope that he was just temporarily pandering...
            -Bokonon

Comment

You could say that 21,000 isn't enough, but then you'd have to say where you're going to get substantially more. And the logistics just don't allow that, short of a draft... It's true that his position wasn't exactly co-opted by Bush, because he didn't really have an honest position.

First, theres some debate about how many troops you could get with todays army end strength. Second, the issue of army end strength is seperate from the question of the draft - army recruiting is back up, the constraint was Rummys refusal to increase army end strength.

In any case, like I said, he could have made an excuse about Maliki, like Hilary did - there are probably other ways he could have distanced himself from Bush. He didnt, IMO, cause he agreed with the policy, and thats more important to him than the political risk.

Comment

If he could "live with" the gutting of habeas corpus, no one has any business portraying hims as a centrist. I sincerely hope that he was just temporarily pandering...
                He could live with the bill that resulted, which AFAIK he does not consider the gutting of habeus corpus.

I will not discuss whether your rhetorical charecterization is correct.

Comment

As I wrote in the DanS, he voted against the Specter Amendment. Habeas is gone for anyone the Admin deems an enemy combatant. There's no debate on the matter.
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                  X