Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you own a SatNav, or are planning on getting one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you own a SatNav, or are planning on getting one?

SatNavs seem to be all the rage here with everyone seemingly rushing out to buy one!

My question is: Have you got one, or are you planning to buy one; or do you still rely on a good old-fashioned map?

Feel free, also, to post your most entertaining stories about getting lost while driving...
    Yes
    25.00%
    No
    62.50%
    I navigate using a magnetic banana!
    12.50%
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

I have a GPS device that uses bluetooth -- hooks up to my laptop and/or iPaq.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Map + girlfriend to pick nice route with B roads and interestingly named villages to drive through.

Comment

I hear stories about people that end up driving hundreds of miles thanks to a faulty sat-nav, when they were only going thirty miles in the first place. Numpties.

Comment

No and no.

I love maps. Positively love them.

I have no particular issue with using a GPS or SatNav thingamagig, but I don't feel the need for them.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
            Me too.

Maps

Comment

No and no.

I have no particular issue with using a GPS or SatNav thingamagig, but I don't feel the need for them.

-Arrian
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

They're great to get a fire or barbeque started - go up like a dream!

Comment

The fumes have clearly gone to your head.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I usually drive domestic routes, which are either one-off or routine. I'm comfortable using just a map or remembering the directions from a website.
                    Sometimes, I blatantly rely on sense of direction

I would consider using satnav when traveling abroad with the car, to overcome language barriers and to have up-to-date traffic information.

The thing I've seen with people using satnav is that they become very reliant on it. They blindly trust the device and their sense of direction deteriorates.

Comment

The fumes have clearly gone to your head.

-Arrian
                      Especially those maps of the USA! Is that as bad as flag burning?

Comment

Visions of The Mobe cackling widly as he radically, subversively and wickedly sets fire to maps of the USA.

Comment

MWUAHAHAHAHA!

Better not overdo it with the petrol (gasoline)...

Comment

No, I don't own one and I likely won't be buying one soon. I know two people who own sat nav systems in their cars and they're both idiots who could get lost on their way from their room to their front door. Those things are really just eye candy and don't do much that a reasonably intelligent person couldn't do with a map. What more when the power goes out I will still have my map but those losers will be completely lost.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

But SatNavs are new technology. Whereas maps represent the past, but make good firelighters (especially American ones!)...

Comment

Working...
                              X