X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would rather watch rugby than american football
    I need a foot massage

Comment

While it is widely believed that the word football, or "foot ball", originated in reference to the action of a foot kicking a ball, this may be a false etymology. An alternative explanation has it that the word originally referred to a variety of games in medieval Europe, which were played on foot. [citation needed] These sports were usually played by peasants, as opposed to the horse-riding sports more often played by aristocrats.
      Answers is the place to go to get the answers you need and to ask the questions you want

I had to look it up because the "on foot" origin for the term football dispite the fact that people rarely kick the ball in football is a not to uncommon question in Newspaper sports pages here in the US. It's just one of the little factoids you pick up if you live in the US and pay attention to sports.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
        Source please.
        Don't know if wiki counts, but:

While it is widely believed that the word football, or "foot ball", originated in reference to the action of a foot kicking a ball, this may be a false etymology. An alternative explanation has it that the word originally referred to a variety of games in medieval Europe, which were played on foot. [citation needed] These sports were usually played by peasants, as opposed to the horse-riding sports more often played by aristocrats. This explanation is supported by the fact that the word football has always implied a wide variety of games played on foot, not just those that revolved around kicking a ball. In some cases, the word has been applied to games which involved carrying a ball and specifically banned kicking.

Though,

However, there is no conclusive evidence for either theory regarding the origins of the word.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

American Football

Kazakh Football

I liike!
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

lol [citation needed] LOL
            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Imran knows nothing about football, and quotes sports commentators who know even less than he does.
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                lol [citation needed] LOL
                Indeed. By extension the game 'Handball' is so named because the players walk around on their hands, and 'Volleyball' is so named because people walk around on their ... erm...

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                  Indeed. By extension the game 'Handball' is so named because the players walk around on their hands, and 'Volleyball' is so named because people walk around on their ... erm...

Did you somehow miss the:

However, there is no conclusive evidence for either theory regarding the origins of the word.

Either theory meaning including the one that said it was named that way because they kick the ball. Considering rugby is referred often as football in New Zealand and Aussie Rules is football in Australia, it's quite a good point.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Either theory meaning including the one that said it was named that way because they kick the ball. Considering rugby is referred often as football in New Zealand and Aussie Rules is football in Australia, it's quite a good point.
                    I talk of rugby as football sometimes
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

No, I saw that.

Comment

what are the traditional sports in India?
                        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                        Middle East!

Comment

I don't believe in the cricket invasion theory.
                          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                            what are the traditional sports in India?
                            Frog hunting
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Will LordShiver run?
                              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

to kiss them and tell them You love them? How sweet
                                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                                X