Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A hospital story

I thought these times were over.

Yesterday, I was lying sick in bed, some rather nasty flu, with 39.5 fever. My 4 years-old had the same, puking the whole night from the day before yesterday to yesterday.
    Unnecessary to tell, he lost quite a bit of liquid, and although we tried to get him to drink, he didn't drink enough it seems. Well, we thought it was enough and he fell asleep. Some two hours later, he opened his eyes and my gf asked him if he was alright since he made a weird look. He didn't respond at all, just staring at us. He was completely paralyzed, when I took him up, his feet remained in the very same position - really scary. My gf immediately called the ambulance and I introduced some liquid to him. This helped and the apparent cramp stopped and Daniel started talking to us again, moving normally - he got better quickly.
    The ambulance arrived and the situation kind of made us look like fools, since the child seemed to be well, so they talked us into not going to the hospital right away and rather go see his doctor. So, OK, we had Daniel drink even more, giving him some "normolyt" to pep up his electrolyte values. That should be enough. Later in the day, he had another sleep and when he woke up, the same thing, just even slightly scarier since he hardly could get his mouth up to introduce him liquid. Again we called the ambulance and I now I doubted that he was just dry, since we seemed to have given him enough to drink.
    Anyway, I had to stay at home (remember, I was in bed with rather high fever), gf with the 2 boys (Daniel and our baby-Jakob) goes to hospital. The eleytrolyte level turned out to be rather bad, but not critical. There, the doctor just didn't take her seriously, trying to tell HER how the situation was. He just didn't accept that the boy was completely paralyzed and didn't move, just saying that "he was a bit confused when he wake up and didn't know where he was." I freaking hate doctors who act from such a position. He' not supposed to tell the patient how the situation was but what the situation means!
    He got some more electrolyt. He didn't finish it all so my gf said, he'll continue to drink that outside. The doctor's response: "Just go home and leave that here, we have enough sick children." - I don't know whether he just wanted her out or if he meant that another child gets the same drink - I really hope not the latter.
    Lamentably I was not there to make some fuss. My gf is rather bad confronting so-called authorities and having the two children with her made her utterly defenseless.

They went home and we were still worried because the values were apparently not critical, so we still had the doubt of the origin of the paralysis. We called some medics we know privately who then made us calm down since they said only two reasons commonly can lead to such a state: drying up and encephalitis, which is impossible since it wouldn't become better but only worse. So we made him drink more normolyt (which he hates) and today he's well again.

Still, I'm mad about the treatment received in the hospital. I thought the times when doctors didn't care at all about what a patient has to tell were over, this proved me it still happens.
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

scary

How's the funding of Austrian hospitals? Adequate or poor?

The guy who basically shoved your girlfriend out might just have an increadible workload and not necesaribly be a patronizing bastard.

(Completely unrelated: I have quite some friends who are nurses (male/female) and you won't beleive the crap they have to take from patients or relatives. Their stories are hilarious if they weren't so sad)
    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by germanos
      scary

How's the funding of Austrian hospitals? Adequate or poor?

The guy who basically shoved your girlfriend out might just have an increadible workload and not necesaribly be a patronizing bastard.
      The funding is relatively good for what I know. At least, we're generally really scared about the situations in the UK or Italy. Lately there was something on the news about a hospital in Rome and I am SO happy I didn't fell sick when I was in Rome.

(Completely unrelated: I have quite some friends who are nurses (male/female) and you won't beleive the crap they have to take from patients or relatives. Their stories are hilarious if they weren't so sad)
      Oh, I think I can imagine that. My Red-Cross driving friends have told me some good stories too...
      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Still, I'm mad about the treatment received in the hospital.
        Write a complaint letter. Take your time with it - don't write angry... but get your point across.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III

The funding is relatively good for what I know. At least, we're generally really scared about the situations in the UK or Italy. Lately there was something on the news about a hospital in Rome and I am SO happy I didn't fell sick when I was in Rome.
          If possible, the first 'aid' is best found at your GP. Hospitals suck.

A long time ago I got myself cut in the bathroom and went to 'first aid' at the hospital. They sew me up in a way that I (layman) thought quite awkward. A week or so later I went to my GP to get my stictches out: The wound fell open since at the hospital they had ****ed up completely. My GP was furious at my treatment and said: next time you come to me!
          (inflamation of my the tendon in my fore-arm followed, and it took well over a year to fully recover from a quite simple cut)
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
            - don't write angry...
            -Arrian
            ^This point is very important.^

Also stress how frightened the inattention left you.

Comment

it's not better here in the states

a coworker took his kid in to the doctor
              after 5-10 minute check up, "its just a cold"
              coworker went for a second opinion -pnuemonia

just a liitle bit of a difference there
              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Working...
              X