I had to call the U.S. just now..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had to call the U.S. just now..

this is the 2nd time I have ever called and talked to an American.

As soon as I heard the voice - the accent - i began to laugh inside. The American accent (pittsburgh btw) is just so unique, it has some sort of cartoony, characteristic, rhyming, relaxing and a "i'm so happy and everything is going swell for me" sound to it.

Anyway, just sharing my thoughts before I go home for the night.

edit: I just had to add that last part, the most important part.
    Last edited by FrostyBoy; February 5, 2007, 09:04.
    be free

I'm sitting in my cubicle, and I'm currently surrounded by FIVE Americans. I fear for my very life. I'm too afraid to leave my office, but I've heard a rumor that the rest of the people here are Americans, too. God help me.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I opened a snoopy thread and, right away, I began to laugh. Right out loud.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Re: I had to call the U.S. just now..

Originally posted by Sn00py
        As soon as I heard the voice - the accent - i began to laugh inside. The American accent (pittsburgh btw) is just so unique, it has some sort of cartoony, characteristic, rhyming, relaxing and a "i'm so happy and everything is going swell for me" sound to it.
        The Pittsburgh accent is one that's oft overlooked. When people think of American accents they usually think of the Southern accent, the Brooklyn accent, the Boston accent, or occasionally the Minnesota accent. However, the Pittsburgh one is quite strong. As someone who grew up near the Pittsburgh area, I'm glad that you've had a chance to experience it.
        I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Re: Re: I had to call the U.S. just now..

Originally posted by Wycoff

The Pittsburgh accent is one that's oft overlooked. When people think of American accents they usually think of the Southern accent, the Brooklyn accent, the Boston accent, or occasionally the Minnesota accent. However, the Pittsburgh one is quite strong. As someone who grew up near the Pittsburgh area, I'm glad that you've had a chance to experience it.
          Can you name a celeb with a typical pittsburgh accent?

I've flown over it but that's as close as I've ever gotten.
          Last edited by Geronimo; February 5, 2007, 10:39.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: I had to call the U.S. just now..

Originally posted by Geronimo
            Can you name a celeb with a typical pittburgh accent?
            Bill Cowher, former head coach of the Steelers, is the biggest celeb that I can think of right now who still has his Pittsburgh accent. Dan Marino still has it to a degree, but his decades away from the 'burgh have softened it significantly. Myron Cope also has one, but he's a rather obscure figure to those who aren't from the Pittsburgh area.

Here's a Wikipedia entry that better describes the accent

As the article says, the accent is typical of Southwest PA.
            I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

I had to call the U.S. just now..

I'm deeply sorry.

Spec.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Working...
              X