The definition of contempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The definition of contempt

The American Enterprise Institute, a think tank largely funded by Exxon-Mobil is offering to pay climatologists $10,000 for articles that emphasise the shortcomings of a report from the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

This is not surprising: lacking any real defense, it's only logical for them to seek men of straw to argue the case for them. The surprise is that they expect climatologists to be willing to trash their professional reputations — in a manner that will come back to haunt them whenever they subsequently apply for a job — for a mere ten thousand dollars. For a professional lobbyist that's a couple of billable hours; yet they suppose it's the measure of a working scientist's life's work.

Seldom has it been so easy to put an exact price on contempt.

Addendum: I note with interest that the American Enterprise Institute are Ayaan Hirsi Ali's current employers. More on this rather creepy body of unelected would-be architects of your future here.

Scientists and economists have been offered $10,000 each by a lobby group funded by one of the world's largest oil companies to undermine a major climate change report due to be published today.

I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

How much of my $10,000 honorarium would it take for the bribe to have me certified as a climatologist??

Comment

Hmmmm....

About an hour ago the Wiki article claimed that Exxon-Mobil gave AEI 0.66 percent of its funding, and provided a source file. I put the kids to bed, came back downstairs, and now that paragraph and reference are gone.

I don't know which is more disturbing... the questions about facts or the questions about how Wiki works.
      Old posters never die.
      They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Pretty much anyone can edit it however they want. They can edit facts out... or they can add stuff in as fact which isn't.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Yep, Wikipedia sucks in that respect. And the ****ing irritating fact that each and every word is linked out of context.
          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Adam Smith:

Here's the link to the version before the 0.66% factoid was removed:
            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Working...
            X