Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge Bast Rocks Valparaíso

HUGE BLAST ROCKS VALPARAÍSO
    Two buildings have collapsed and over 60 people are missing.

VALPARAÍSO, Chile - A huge blast have destroyed several blocks of the UNESCO patrimonial zone of downtown Valparaíso this morning, between Sotomayor and Echaurren squares. Two buildings have collapsed and other two are burning without any control by firefighters.

Carabineros and the Firemen received calls since 6.30am (CST) from neighbors of Serrano Street, that were smelling gas. At 7am the crews of the gas companies arrived to work in the area but later, at 8.20am for accumulation of gas the explosion occured.

Firefighter companies of Valparaíso and Viña del Mar are working in the area that seems to have been bombarded.

Over 20 buildings are damaged

Serrano street is in ruins, while Cochrane Avenue and the surrounding streets to Echaurren Square are covered by a dark smoke. Firefighters and Carabineros have closed Valparaíso's downtown and are still working in the tragedy area.

The debris of the collapsed buldings have become the biggest problem to keep the rescue efforts for the missing persons, which is the main task ordered by Valparaíso's Mayor Aldo Cornejo; "I don't care if we loose more of these historic buildings in the fires but I just don't want to loose any more porteños (people from Valparaíso)".

The historical downtown of the city have been the scene for multiple tragedies across the last three centuries. The current one remeber the huge blast of january 1st 1953, which began with the fire of the Schulze barrack and then the massive blast that blew into the air an entire block of buildings, killing 50 civilians and 36 firefighters.

---------------------

Here some shots from TV.

>>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Who (if anyone) did it?
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
        Who (if anyone) did it?
        Global warming
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Sounds like a ruptured natural gas line.

Comment

Who (if anyone) did it?
            It seems to be a gas licking from a pipeline.
            In the press conference the Mayor declared that if it's true that Carabineros warned GasValpo and Metro Gas (the gas companies involved) of a gas smell in the area almost 12 hours before the blast, the City Hall will ask the district attorney to ban the companies from the city... or something like that, I did not pick the press conference at time.

Well perhaps, GasValpo and Metro Gas are Al Qaeda cells in Valparaíso... who knows.

Comment

At first I thought you meant Valparaiso, Indiana.

Was anyone hurt?
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Who (if anyone) did it?
                God, propably

To the OP:
                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Aww, damn

I glanced at the subject quick and thought this was about huge bats. Oh well.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    At first I thought you meant Valparaiso, Indiana.

Was anyone hurt?
                    There's a Valparaiso in the US? Wow.

There's no official death toll yet. The rescue forces want to keep finding bodies before giving a real number of deads. They don't want to give a false number that may raise every hour. But this looks very bad... currently there are only two wounded in the Van Buren Hospital, a extremely low number for such a blast, which would indicate that other people in the area (around 50 families) are probably dead.

More pics...

Comment

Originally posted by Chilean President™

There's a Valparaiso in the US? Wow.
                      I found three: Indiana, Florida, Nebraska.

Indiana probably the best known, as Valparaiso Univ is located there.
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Really??? They should become sister Uni of the Universidad de Valparaíso, located here.
                        Last edited by Chilean President™; February 3, 2007, 18:30.

Comment

Curses to those Egyptian Goddesses and their violent streaks!
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

obscure references to egyptian goddesses based on typos

"I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by germanos

God, propably
                              If you by that mean bad maintenance, you are rigth - typical example of acts of man.

To the OP:
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X