Spammer convicted under Can-Spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spammer convicted under Can-Spam

This is a couple weeks old, but somehow I missed it...
    Didn't see anything in a quick seach, so here it is.

Bloomerg.com story

California Man Guilty of Defrauding AOL Subscribers, U.S. Says

By Edvard Pettersson

Jan. 16 (Bloomberg) -- A California man who defrauded users of Time Warner Inc.'s America Online unit by sending e-mails requesting credit data became the first defendant found guilty by a jury under a 2003 federal law barring Internet ``spam.''

Jeffrey Goodin, 45, of Azusa, California, was convicted under the 2003 Can-Spam Act, the U.S. attorney's office in Los Angeles said today in a statement. The statute prohibits sending unsolicited e-mail messages with falsified header, or return address, information.

Goodin operated a so-called phishing scheme that duped AOL subscribers into providing personal and credit information in the belief they were dealing with the company's billing department, prosecutors said. Goodin used the credit card information to make unauthorized purchases. The total financial damages were about $1 million, Assistant U.S. Attorney Rozella Oliver said.

Goodin is scheduled to be sentenced June 11 in Los Angeles federal court. He faces as many as 101 years in prison, prosecutors said in the statement. His lawyer, Gerald Salseda, and AOL spokesman Andrew Weinstein, didn't immediately return calls seeking comment.

Shares of New York-based Time Warner, the world's largest media company, rose 8 cents to $22.81 in New York Stock Exchange composite trading.

The case United States v. Goodin, U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 06-110.
    A related story says he faces a max of 101 years, with sentencing scheduled for June.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

sending any mass-spam e-mails should not be tolerated.
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

This was fraud, theft, invasion of privacy and he's in deep****.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Can we convict LordRhiva under Can-Spam?
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

only if my room would be his prison
          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
          Middle East!

Comment

Sounds like a poll question.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Damn, must be a serious issue if your lawmakers linked it to Canada.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                sending any mass-spam e-mails should not be tolerated.
                Well, he was targetting AOL users...
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Tacc
                  Can we convict LordRhiva under Can-Spam?

Originally posted by Heresson
                  only if my room would be his prison

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  Sounds like a poll question.
                  Last edited by LordShiva; February 3, 2007, 00:13.
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                  X