synchronizing documents across computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• synchronizing documents across computers

I've been planning on getting a desktop for a while now, using it as my main workstation and only using the notebook as a portable computer. I have a couple problems that I need to solve before I do this, though.

Currently I have all my documents, music, source code etc. in My Docs on my laptop hard drive. Large media like videos are on the 250GB external hard drive (USB). I also just recently moved all of my games onto the external drive, and installed a bunch of games that I'd previously uninstalled from the laptop for space reasons onto the drive. My plan is to just keep all games on that drive.

I also log all IM and chat. This is currently stored in a folder in My Docs on the laptop hard drive. Given that the laptop will be used in situations when it wouldn't be able to log remotely to the external drive or the hard drive on the desktop, how do I go about keeping them in sync?

Back to the games, my preference is to keep them all on the external drive and not have them really "installed" on either computer (so I can launch them the same way from both). I've already detected one flaw in this - WH40k: DOW stores the serial key in the registry, and can't connect to the MP servers without it. Is there any problem with manually editing the registry to fix those specific cases?

Finally, as an extension of the logs issue, how do I keep documents/music in sync? It's really important that I be able to access documents on the laptop without carrying the external drive around, but most of my work will be done on the desktop.

Re: synchronizing documents across computers

I also log all IM and chat.
    Use Google Talk, *****.

As for the rest: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ynccenter.mspx
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Thanks I do use Google Talk. That isn't a problem, since it logs to Gmail. However, a lot of people I talk to are on AIM or IRC.

Comment

AIM or IRC? WELCOME TO 1995. JESUS!!!! OMG.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

IRC Some of my best memories from college are on IRC...

AIM ICQ YIM MSN GTalk
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

except for the games, use a flash drive for doc's.

it is always with you and no worries on the sync
            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Kuci, if you don't have Vista, there's also SyncToy for XP.
                    B♭3

Comment

Working...
                    X