• What specifically?

Comment

• Nonstandard Higgs signals at LHCb
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• That sounds pretty exciting. What counts as a nonstandard signal?

Comment

• Anything not in the standard model?

Anyhow, what I'm looking for is a fairly classic decay channel, but nobody has published anything suggesting it could be seen.

I'd rather not get any more specific...
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• We'll wait for the publication. Good luck.

Comment

• Well, KH working on LHCb, does get you my respect. CERN, is an exciting place to be for a physicist.
              How are you coping with the official language (bad English)
              I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

• I'm not working on LHCb.

I'm doing phenomenology for it (in other words, I' telling the people who are actually working on it what they might be able to see). LHCb is smaller than CMS and ATLAS, so we might actually have some pull in how their triggers are defined if we have an interesting result...

I haven't actually visited CERN yet. Will be there this summer for a couple of weeks. The English isn't so bad, but their documentation is all 4 years out of date, so we don't have a clue what their projected capabilities really are at this point.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  I'm not working on LHCb.

I'm doing phenomenology for it (in other words, I' telling the people who are actually working on it what they might be able to see). LHCb is smaller than CMS and ATLAS, so we might actually have some pull in how their triggers are defined if we have an interesting result...
                  Sorry, about the misunderstanding,I blame multitasking and my short attention span (and after looking at my posts dyslexia).

Anyway, "telling them what they might see" sounds just as interesting to me.
                  I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

• Sounds more interesting to me. Experimental work drives me nuts.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Sounds more interesting to me. Experimental work drives me nuts.

Higgs boson all the way.

Comment

• It ain't real until I measure it.

Experimentalist with theory envy.

Comment

• Com'on the math fits. -say when asked to produce proof

Comment

• Originally posted by DrS
                            It ain't real until I measure it.

Experimentalist with theory envy.
                            It ain't real until somebody else measures it

Theorist with an appreciation for experimentalists, but 0 desire to be one
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It ain't real until somebody else measures it

Theorist with an appreciation for experimentalists, but 0 desire to be one
                              True indeed.

Comment

• I think that experiment is key for physics (as with all sciences). But I must admit that I dislike how much of the time I am spending doing documentation/doing calibration/etc. I wasn't involved much with the hardware (other then checking out, and some electronics stuff) but if I had built a wirechamber or something big I might get annoyed with that as well (build detector for 1+ year(s), check it out for a year, then run the experiment for 3ish months).

Experimentalists in other fields (like AMO) seem to not have it as bad. They spend a while creating their experiment (or inherit it). Then spend a year messing with hardware, writing code, writing a couple reports, and writing their paper. Sometimes they can do this even 2 or more times. It is a lot smaller scale, which I think is a good thing (right now).

I understand it takes a lot of physicists to do big experiments... But being a bit player for all my life (or even for the next 10 years) doesn't seem great.

Jon Miller
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X