Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Chirac's slip reflect France's real position on a nuclear Iran?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to be opaque. I mean that irrespective of the idea that the ideas do not have to be linked, that you seem to have undergone some moderation of leftist stance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
      then theres also the fact that the radiation cloud would go all over syria and jordan, and egypte and i dont think they would be too happy about that. also, they are majority muslim countries. a lot of them would die too.
      Since when do muslims in one country actually care about the well being of muslims in another? Sure you get the Brotherhood BS lines but when it actually counts, they are quit willing to kill and allow thousands to be killed if it suits their needs. And what exactly does Egypt, Syria, Jordan, and SA do about their unhappiness towards Iran? IMO, not much beyond not saying anything about Western retaliation.
      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

• Originally posted by TCO
        Sorry to be opaque. I mean that irrespective of the idea that the ideas do not have to be linked, that you seem to have undergone some moderation of leftist stance.
        On that point, no. On economics I may appear to have, simply because I now have much more experience messing with models I don't believe in. I enjoy the logic of it purely for the logic. I also used to care more...
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by TCO

That's because you are a realist. I "remember" before Hiroshima that sci fi writers speculated that the first government to get the bomb would be required to rule the world and stop anyone else from getting it. They had no idea how man really slouches towards history...
          Who wrote about the bomb before 1945?
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
            you telling me that the place where mohammed ascended to heaven is not a holy place in islam?
            precisely.

AS evidenced by the pitiful percentage of muslim pilgrams it attracts and it has never managed to attract much more than that.

They just couldn't be arsed about jerusalem so long as the infidels aren't allowed to have it. And of course it's important in a non religious historical sense to palestinian muslims.

Comment

• People.

Comment

• Which people?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                  Which people?
                  The ones who liked to write sci fi about the first government to have nuclear bombs pre-1945

Comment

• sci fi writers
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Geronimo

The ones who liked to write sci fi about the first government to have nuclear bombs pre-1945
                      You have a storey or book and publication place/date?

I'm genuinely curious to know if sci fi writers were publishing before a guy like Einstein had to sign a letter to get the government of the United States focused on the issue.

I'd like to read that book or storey.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

• Asimove wrote a story in the 30s in which he accrately described a functioning nuclear power plant. Others wrote about nuclear bombs. The idea was not a secret. It had been around for quite a while.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Heinlein had one (wasn't bmobs, was dirty bombs). SAme geo issues though

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            Asimove wrote a story in the 30s in which he accrately described a functioning nuclear power plant. Others wrote about nuclear bombs. The idea was not a secret. It had been around for quite a while.
                            Asimov was writing stories about nuclear power while a late teen, in the very late '30's and early 40's?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

• Must have been early 40s then. He mentions it in one of his collections. His joke is that he could see 5 years in the future, but not 5 years in the past, because he makes up some name for element 41, despite the fact that it had been synthesised and named prior to him writing the story, but no functioning nuke reactor was around yet.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Hmm. I suspect these stories come after Hiroshima, and not before.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X