• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pity The Poor Congressfolk Who Cannot Get A Pay Raise

Republicans Block Congressional Pay Hike

Jan 30 1:37 PM US/Eastern

By ANDREW TAYLOR
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- When Democrats blasted Republicans last fall for taking annual congressional pay raises while blocking numerous attempts to raise the minimum wage, it was an effective campaign tactic. Democrats vowed not to accept the annual cost-of-living hike until Congress increases the minimum wage.

But Republicans angered over the political attacks are unwilling to allow Democrats to reinstate the so-called members' COLA, forcing Democratic leaders to scuttle the 1.7 percent pay hike for the entire year.

"There will be no COLA adjustment," said a disappointed Steny Hoyer of Maryland, the House's No. 2 Democrat, on Tuesday.

Hoyer has for years played a central role in finessing the ticklish issue of lawmakers' pay, working cozily with GOP leaders to make sure an annual pay-related vote went smoothly.

Lawmakers' pay will be frozen at $165,200 for this year in the dispute, in which Democrats violated a yearslong understanding that the competing parties would not use the pay raise issue in campaign ads.

Under the annual COLA, lawmakers automatically get a pay hike unless Congress votes to block it. Hoyer and GOP leaders such as Minority Whip Roy Blunt, R-Mo., made sure to smooth over any potential obstacles to the pay hike.

Typically, the annual vote on the pay hike came on an obscure procedural move _ instead of a direct up-or-down vote _ and the Democratic and GOP whips each delivered a roughly equal number of votes to shut off any move to block the pay hike.

Blunt said Democrats broke the agreement last year after the pay raise-related vote had already taken place. In a 263-152 vote in June, the House blocked a bid by Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, to force an up- or-down vote on the pay raise.

"The agreement always was that the parties would not use the COLA issue in the campaign," Blunt said. "It was as formal as anything not signed is."

Under the congressional pay raise law enacted in 1989, lawmakers won a big pay raise in exchange for giving up honoraria for personal gain. The COLA was born as part of the reforms, but it also had the political benefit of freeing lawmakers from having to vote on pay hikes.

The issue is ripe because a GOP-drafted stopgap spending bill carrying language delaying the pay hike expires Feb. 15 _ and lawmakers would automatically start receiving their raises the following day.

A huge spending bill for the current budget year is moving through the House on Wednesday, and Democrats tried in recent days to reach agreement with Republicans on language to delay the pay raise a few more weeks or months to provide more time for the minimum wage bill to advance into law.

Republicans said no.

"The DCCC ran their own ads attacking (GOP) members on this," Blunt said. "Because of that their members are going to suffer in terms of not being able to have a COLA."

Members were originally due to begin receiving a 1.7 percent, or $2,800, annual increase Jan. 1. They had already lost about $320 with the delay to Feb. 16.

Senate GOP Whip Trent Lott, R-Miss., pressed for congressional pay hikes since his days as a member of the House Republican leadership. Lott expressed disappointment at the news, noting there's no shortage of wealthy lawmakers _ such as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California and Sen. Edward Kennedy _ using the pay raise issue as a political sword.

"It's very easy for the multimillionaires ... to demagogue this issue," Lott said.

April 3 (UPI) — A 2007 Ferrari F430 F1 Coupe once owned by Donald Trump sold at an event in Florida for $270,000, the Auctions America group said.

Oh so very sad.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Politicians should not be allowed to set their own pay.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Every year, the national debt gets bigger and bigger.
      Want to get a surplus?? Put these guys on commission.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
        Politicians should not be allowed to set their own pay.
        QFT!

Bloodsuckers. Good on those who blocked it.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

We had a similar situation in this province. The government raised the minimum wage a few cents and then gave themselves a 25% increase.

Pay increases seem to be the only thing the Liberals and Conservatives can agree on.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

What kind of a sick world do we live in where corrupt politicians can't vote themselves the money they want?
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Congressmen should be paid more. Then maybe smart people would want to be congressmen.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

You only need be popular to be a congressman. Popular trumps smart any day of the week. Look at the Dems.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Politics is indeed a popularity contest.

Congressional pay should be tied to some economic index that captures the overall health of the US economy. If things are going well, they get paid more. If times are tough, no pay raise for you! You come back, 2 (or 6) year!

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                    Congressmen should be paid more. Then maybe smart people would want to be congressmen.
                    The real money in politics isn't in the salary. It's in the selling out to special interests.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                      I keep hearing that argument. We need to pay big $$ to attract the really good people. I call BS. Their pay has been rising faster than inflation for decades now yet the overall quality of our leaders is dropping.

I say pay less and attract the people interested in public service rather than those interested in financial gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

The real money in politics isn't in the salary. It's in the selling out to special interests.
                        Mmm, lobbying money, mmm...

[/Homer]

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

I say pay less and attract the people interested in public service rather than those interested in financial gain.
                          Good luck finding someone actually interested in public service. Given the hell on earth someone goes through to get elected including complete scrutiny of every facet of ones private life those most likely to seek public office are likely least likely to serve anyone but themselves.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Ogie's post shows the gist of the problem. I wish I was smart enough to figure out a solution.

Comment

Let's drastically reduce the pay and find out.

I think you would find different qualities/tactics would appear without the overwhelming self-interest setting in. Unclear I know, but I hope you understand my point...

Comment

Working...
                              X