• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zkribbler
    Well, I keep on thinkin' 'bout you,
    Sister Goldenhair. (Surprise).
    And I just can't live without you.
    Can't you see it in my eyes.

OK, that comes close. And a whole raft of smooth 70s music close behind.
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Okay, we lived around Mt Davidson in San Francisco (the one with the big concrete cross they light up seen in Dirty Harry) and after the amusement park at the Great Highway closed down it became a place for drag racing just south of the Cliff House. If you follow the Great Highway down from there about ~5 miles the beach widens out to maybe a mile because of bluffs and there was a tree known to all beach partyers, an amazing tree! You climb up the trunk and about 15-20 feet up you go right thru a hole and the tree's branches stretched out like an umbrella, a literal canopy. We could get a dozen or more people up there at a time and then you'd see the ocean (during the day). Below was the firepit, a big fire was standard for night parties so the flickering light below would filter thru the branches to create a visual show for those trippin up on top of the tree. But the really cool thing about "the Tree" is that getting down was alot faster - instead of climbing down drunk or stoned we'd just slide down the branches just like water running off an umbrella. The branches were so thick you could climb out to the edge and your weight would bend the top branches down to meet the next layer and you could literally slide down the outside of the tree all the way to the ground.

Anyway, our ultimate party song for the Tree was the live version of Peter Frampton's "Do You Feel Like I/We Do".
      I hear that song and I think of the Tree and all those parties...and how the amusement park closed down...and how the civil authorities eventually closed down the drag racing...and how life was made safer, and less fun...

Comment

I know I'm getting old when Most of the songs I'd select can be found in TV commericials and elevators. *sigh*

Never thought I'd hear "Stairway to Heaven" played in an elevator.
        And the other side of that coin, the next generation's music sucks

Comment

Squeeze, "Tempted" and "Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)": Squeeze played the soundtrack of my college years -- regardless of whatever other music you liked, you liked Squeeze -- and I suspect I heard these two songs more than any others during those four years.

The Police, "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic": "our song" from my first serious relationship (aww....)

But for songs that are themselves nostalgic, nothing beats Aimee Mann's "Fifty Years After the Fair," an ode to the dashed utopian promise of 1939 New York World's Fair. Mann was born 20 years after the Fair closed, so this is actually kind of beyond nostalgia; but she's about my age, and I've been fascinated by the Fair for years (I've thought about using the Trylon and Perisphere for my avatar), so I get where she's coming from. It loses something without her gorgeous music, but the lyrics are still worth quoting:

Fifty years after the fair
          The picture I have is so clear
          Underneath the clouds in the air
          Rose the Trylon and the Perisphere
          And that for me was the finest of scenes
          That perfect world across the river in Queens

I drink from a different cup
          But it does no good to compare
          ’cause nothing ever measures up
          I guess just for a second we thought
          That all good things would rise to the top

But how beautiful it was - "tomorrow"
          We’ll never have a day of sorrow
          We got through the ’30’s, but our belts were tight
          We conceived of a future with no hope in sight
          We’ve got decades ahead of us to get it right
          I swear - fifty years after the fair

I live in tomorrow town
          Even on a wing and a prayer
          The future never came around
          It hurts to even think of those days
          The damage we do
          By the hopes that we raise

But how beautiful it was - "tomorrow"
          We’ll never have a day of sorrow
          We got through the ’30’s, but our belts were tight
          We conceived of a future with no hope in sight
          We’ve got decades ahead of us to get it right
          I swear - fifty years after the fair
          Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939_New_York_World's_Fair is Wiki's excellent entry on the Fair, but it's not pasting in right; cut an paste if you're interested.
          Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; January 31, 2007, 02:47.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Re: Re: SOngs that make you nostalgic

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

What a load of gob****e...
            You remember listening to it don't you Provvy, while pissing into the sea?
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Baroque really brings me Bach.
              APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Originally posted by Perfection
                Baroque really brings me Bach.
                Really? I've never been able to get a Handel on it, myself...
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Baroque's a really good bar in Leeds
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Zelenka you leave it, the more likely you lose track....

Thomas Tallis's 'Spem in Alium' as performed by the Clerkes of Oxenford takes me right back to the summer of 1980, and getting drenched in a thunderstorm after buying it, hurrying home, soaked, then listening to the 40-part motet with the volume way up, and being completely blown away- the lightning flashes helped too.
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

All music is nostaligic to me. There's hardly a song or composition that doesn't invoke memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Ha oh ha ha
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Mary J Blige - my first 10$ dance
                          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                            All music is nostaligic to me. There's hardly a song or composition that doesn't invoke memories.
                            Even this one?

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

omg if singing could be "translated" into image, it would make a photo of Ming. If singing could be translated into politics, it'd be war in Iraq. Horrible.
                              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                              Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                                Even this one?
                                Yeah - that one evokes memories of some of my worst illnesses and nightmares.

Comment

Working...
                                X