Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lion mauls 70 y/o grandpa. Grandma to the rescue! (humans 1 - cats 0.5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lion mauls 70 y/o grandpa. Grandma to the rescue! (humans 1 - cats 0.5)

Woman, 65, saves husband from mountain lion

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- Wildlife officials on Thursday credited a woman with saving her husband's life by clubbing a mountain lion that attacked him while the couple hiked in a California state park.

Jim and Nell Hamm, who will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary next month, were hiking Wednesday in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, 60 miles south of the Oregon state line, when the lion pounced.

"He didn't scream. It was a different, horrible plea for help, and I turned around, and by then the cat had wrestled Jim to the ground," Nell Hamm said in an interview from the hospital.

Jim Hamm was recovering from a torn scalp, puncture wounds and other injuries.

After the attack, game wardens closed the park and released hounds to track the lion. They later shot and killed two lions found near the trail where the attack happened.

The carcasses were flown to a state forensics lab to determine if either animal had mauled the man.

Although the Hamms are experienced hikers, neither had seen a mountain lion before Jim Hamm was mauled, his wife said.

Nell Hamm said she grabbed a 4-inch-diameter log and beat the animal with it, but it would not release its hold on her husband's head.

"Jim was talking to me all through this, and he said, 'I've got a pen in my pocket and get the pen and jab him in the eye,"' she said.

"So I got the pen and tried to put it in his eye, but it didn't want to go in as easy as I thought it would."

When the pen bent and became useless, Nell Hamm went back to using the log. The lion eventually let go and, with blood on its snout, stood staring at the woman. She screamed and waved the log until the animal walked away.

"She saved his life, there is no doubt about it," said Steve Martarano, a spokesman for the Department of Fish and Game.

Nell Hamm, 65, said she was afraid to leave her dazed, bleeding husband alone, so the couple walked a quarter-mile to a trail head, where she gathered branches to protect them if more lions came around. They waited until a ranger came by and summoned help.

"My concern was to get Jim out of there," she said. "I told him, 'Get up, get up, walk,' and he did."

Jim Hamm, 70, was in fair condition Thursday. He had to have his lips stitched and underwent surgery for other lacerations on his head and body.

He told his wife he still wants to make the trip to New Zealand they planned for their anniversary, she said.

Nell Hamm warned people never to hike in the backcountry alone. Park rangers told the couple if Jim Hamm had been alone, he probably would not have survived.

"We fought harder than we ever have to save his life, and we fought together," she said.
    Last edited by Sirotnikov; January 27, 2007, 01:51.

Ouch. That is truly horrifying to envision. I remember hiking in Arizona once, and being told, jokingly, that there might be a mountain lion or two on the trail. Yeah, ha ha, it was always in the back of my mind and at times I had to make an effort to keep it from overwhelming me.

Major props to Mrs. Hamm for her courage and rational way of approaching this horrific situation. I'd like to have seen the average newly-wed 25 year old act in a similar non-hysterical fashion.

Comment

Mountain "lion" != lion
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
        Mountain "lion" != lion

You're just jealous that the Indian lion is basically extinct.
        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
          You're just jealous that the Indian lion is basically extinct.
          Endangered or not, I'd sure as hell need more than a ballpoint if I walked into one
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Mountain lion = puma = cougar.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well, it's still scary if you have to fight one of those big cats, especially when they have already engaged and you know it's battle time and no two ways about it.

I couldn't help but laugh about the 'take my pen and put it in his eye!' and then the wife trying to do it

Brave people, both of them. You can say that everyone would fight in that situation, but that's just not the case. She had every excuse to run away, but she stuck to her guns and beat the big cat. I think no one will mess with her after this incident.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

So..
                She married at 15?
                Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Puma are not that big, but can still kill a man

I wonder if the puma realizes the man he tried to kill was old, and therefore an easy prey
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride

I wonder if the puma realizes the man he tried to kill was old, and therefore an easy prey
                    Either that or it was really, really, really hungry.

I've never heard of one attacking an adult before.

Comment

Real lions are much nicer

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride

A puma chased my great-grandfather up a telegraph pole. He was working as a signalman on a railroad. He was stuck up there for over a day. The thing refused to go away. He got rescued when a search party went out to find him (he hadn't reported back at the end of shift). They brought rifles and killed it. He was in his prime at the time, and might have been able to fight it off barehanded, but I guess he decided a strategic retreat was the safer option...
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

A puma chased my great-grandfather up a telegraph pole. He was working as a signalman on a railroad. He was stuck up there for over a day. The thing refused to go away. He got rescued when a search party went out to find him (he hadn't reported back at the end of shift). They brought rifles and killed it. He was in his prime at the time, and might have been able to fight it off barehanded, but I guess he decided a strategic retreat was the safer option...

It seems like intelligence can be tracked several generations back in time in your family
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              A puma chased my great-grandfather up a telegraph pole.
                              So...you're saying a 65-year-old woman is tougher than your great grandpappy when he was in his prime.

Comment

Working...
                              X