Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no iPODs and Cognac for North Koreans

Cognac and iPod ban for N Korea

The US has banned exports of iPods, fine wines and fast cars to North Korea as part of the punishment for the country's nuclear bomb test last year.

The sanctions are said to be targeted at North Korea's elite, who reportedly enjoy luxuries despite the country's desperate poverty.

Meanwhile the US set talks with North Korea on lifting financial penalties.

The moves come amid efforts to restart multilateral talks aimed at persuading North Korea to halt nuclear activities.

US envoy Christopher Hill said, after meeting his North Korean counterpart in Berlin, that he hoped the six-nation talks would resume by mid-February.

The talks ended inconclusively in December, having resumed after a break of more than a year.

The sanctions on luxury goods were "carefully considered and carefully targeted" to affect only the country's elite, said US commerce department spokesman Richard Mills.

"It does not prohibit exports of food and medicine and other humanitarian goods."

The banned list includes cognac - said to be the favourite tipple of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il - as well as jet skis, jewellery and designer clothes.

The United Nations banned the sale of luxury goods to North Korea in response to its nuclear test on 9 October, but left individual countries to define those items.

However, the US appeared to be moving towards compromise on another front, by announcing talks next week in Beijing on US financial restrictions, which the North has blamed for its reluctance to rejoin multi-party talks.

Story from BBC NEWS:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Last edited by MarkG; January 26, 2007, 21:40.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Finally sanctions done right.
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

iPods

Cognac
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Surely they can still import cheap ipod rip-offs from the PRC? I'm sure there's no way they could sneak other luxuries across that border either

Comment

Why do they talk about punishing N Korea, and then say they will ban iPods? Sounds very contradicting as banning iPods is a good thing
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

But how will they listen to Dear Leaders songs, and songs about Dear Leader, without iPods? Think about it.
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I don't think that a common North Korean has any idea on what an iPod or Cognac might be.
              Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

I'm dubious about how much this will actually do. If all nations define luxury goods the same way, it could have an effect... but otherwise it seems kinda pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Adalbertus
                  I don't think that a common North Korean has any idea on what an iPod or Cognac might be.
                  As the article says, this is geared towards North Korea's upper class/elite..

Comment

http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

But if Kim Jong Il already has an iPod, no one else needs one.
                      It's a pity that all these items will get smuggled through China so very easily.
                      Clash of Civilization team member
                      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

After Norway, Apple is going to lose yet another market
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Thue
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Doesn't that hit Apple too hard, taking one of its primary markets away?

edit, damn Spiff has stolen my idea
                            Blah

Comment

Mercantilism
                              I changed my signature

Comment

Working...
                              X