No announcement yet.

"Old" aftershaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh, I remember being on a train to Glasgow last summer at about 8 in the morning, and the Glaswegians were already at the Tennants Super.

(and that was just the children )
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Sure there was no Buckie going around too? Need to get me hands on some of that..
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I don't use aftershave.

JM
        (once or twice in my life, really, water for me...)
        (I use to use cold water, but the last 6 years I have gotten spoiled and vastly prefer warm water)
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

What is Buckie?
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Bucky's came up a few months back and I found this:

Buckfast Tonic Wine ... is a tonic wine produced by Buckfast Abbey in Devon, south west England. The wine was first produced in 1890s by the Benedictine monks at Buckfast Abbey using a recipe brought over from France. ...

In recent times, Buckfast has achieved a surprising level of popularity within working class and bohemian communities in certain parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. ...

Its iconic stature within the ned youth culture is hard to overemphasise and groups of neds can frequently be seen drinking it out of the bottle at all times of day in parks and other public places.

Aside from 'Buckie', other nicknames include 'The Wine', 'Tonic', 'Brown Sauce', 'Broon wine', 'commotion lotion', 'wreck-the-hoose juice', 'bottle of fight the world', 'bottle of beat the wife', 'liquid speed', 'La trumpette vert' (The green Trumpet), 'Mrs Brown', 'Monkey's Blood' and 'Scranjuice'.

The unofficial slogan "Buckfast makes you **** fast" has become synonymous with the beverage in all areas of Ireland, or as perhaps more correctly adopted by students "Buckfast gets you ****ed fast". Its popularity amongst Glasgow's Punk community has also gained it the slogan "Made by monks, drunk by punks".

Those unofficial slogans must be the sort of serendipity that marketing people dream about.

The whole Wiki article:

Comment

Shows what a sheltered, south-of-the-border life I have lead...
              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

I was up in 'Glasgae' a couple of weekends ago, and yes we did randomly come across Buckie's, loads of punks/goths and seemed to have crashed a geriatric wife-swapping party at a place called 'Frankenstein 1818'...

Though IIRC the kid's training wheels drink is Vodka and Irn Bru...

Those Glaswegians are a funny lot!
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

I had one called FCUK which was mild and discrete, that's probably the only bottle I emptied. Real men use non-perfumed aftershave.
                  It's been awhile since I FCUK myself.
                  anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                    Shows what a sheltered, south-of-the-border life I have lead...
                    I was only introduced to Bucky a few months back
                    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                    X