Palestinians Family Planning: "Son go to jail. You'll receive a free meal"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palestinians Family Planning: "Son go to jail. You'll receive a free meal"

Increasing financial hardships lead some poor parents in the territories to encourage underage sons to harass IDF soldiers, get arrested; boys get shelter, families receive benefits from PA government

Palestinian children encouraged to go to jail

Increasing financial hardships lead some poor parents in the territories to encourage underage sons to harass IDF soldiers, get arrested; boys get shelter, families receive benefits from PA government

Ali Waked
    Published: 01.26.07, 16:49

Exactly a year after Hamas' January election to the Palestinian government, the wild optimism of early 2005 is noticeably absent. Ongoing inter-faction violence and rising poverty are providing Palestinians with little to be optimistic about.

At this time, both internal and international efforts to advance a Palestinian unity government appear to be at a stand-still.

In a recent bout of infighting Thursday night, two Palestinians – one operative from Hamas and one from Fatah - were killed. Friday afternoon, a Hamas security official, injured earlier during exchanges of fire in Beit Lahiya, died of his wounds.

As if the violence were not enough, the Palestinian Authority has also recently logged an increased number of homeless children. For this problem, however, some Palestinian families seem to have found a unique, if tragic, solution.

Palestinian Legislative Council (PLC) member Issa Qaraqe told Ynet of an increasing phenomenon of Palestinian minors deliberately provoking IDF soldiers at checkpoints in order to be arrested, and thus receive shelter in Israeli prisons.

"Prison time provides these lads with shelter, and also provides their families with prisoners' benefits," Qaraqe explained.

"We were actually amazed to find that some families encourage such a phenomenon in order to reduce expenses, and primarily to receive the weekly benefits given by the Palestinian government to the family of every prisoner," he added.

Qaraqe recounted a recent visit to a family whose underage son had been arrested: "I started to comfort the father and was amazed to hear him say that it's actually not so bad, because now the family will receive a government benefit. It will be their only income."

According to Qaraqe, such sentiments by parents illustrate the financial and emotional hardships suffered by Palestinian families over the past year.

"How can one explain a parent who not only isn't sad that his son is in jail, but rather, encourages him to go there?" Qaraqe queried. "These people are sick, and it indicates the severe deterioration of Palestinian society over the past year."

This is quite sad.

I hope the Hamas government changes soon.

That'd be impossible in the UK.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Um, this is not exactly a unique situation. Homeless in the US do this all the time (though not children, as we have better welfare programs and shelters for children apparently).
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I thought the PA didn't even have money to pay teachers, police etc. their wages? Yet they have money to compensate the families of prisoners
        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
          Um, this is not exactly a unique situation. Homeless in the US do this all the time (though not children, as we have better welfare programs and shelters for children apparently).
          I've heard that federal prison is better than living on the street.

I've also heard that some people prefer state prison to Humboldt County Jail, the jail doesn't provide rehab or school, people go stir crazy. Maybe that's one reason we have 18x the national drug overdose rate here. Don't know if the kids are better off here, 2 of the 4 killed by cops in 10 months here were 16 and 18.

Comment

Sad indeed.
            Blah

Comment

The Chinese communists got this one right. Bill the prisoners family and even toss them out of government owned housing if they don't pay. That would discourage this behavior.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

A 63 year old guy in Ohio tried to rob a bank and get into prison for three years until he could start drawing social security.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

stop feeding them, or stop arresting them
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                  X