Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
    I wouldn't bet large sums on that...advice you should have taken earlier
    Yeah my gambling has got a bit ropey recently - need to win it back soon!!
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
      Of the WTF contest.....
      He has stiff competition.
      Attached Files
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

BeBro
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Women were granted the right to vote federally in 1971, however women where only given the vote cantonally gradually and the in the last remaining canton (Appenzell Innerrhoden) only in 1992, and then by a judicial decision against the will of the resisting canton

like i said, the swiss system is the best
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

He has stiff competition.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Re: Democracy, coming to an end?

Originally posted by Pekka
              And the biggest problem I have is the fact that most of the people who are decision makers are not really that smart to begin with, I mean, we have much more qualified people in private sector. Sure, we have all kinds of experts who give their opinion for the politicians, so they can make informed decisions, but they carry so little weight in ALL countries, that it is disgustingly stupid.

Most of the voters are also not that smart. People are pretty stupid, the average person is not really that clever. Since we aren't going to follow the libertarian way of individual liberties anyway, I think the next best thing today might be to be lead by the smartest people we can get. Competent leaders, where party politics is just forgotten.

The boss shouldn't be the guy with the least clue.
              I vote for Meritocracy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritocracy and Geniocracy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geniocracy

Originally posted by Pekka
              And it's all about hey, but if we can vote these guys, then we have power. No you don't. That's an illusion of power and equality these days. It works in smaller circles, but in the magnitude of a country, given the structures it already has, it doesn't make a difference. Difference, as in, we are still voting politicians, who belong to a party. It's like I have a choice to vote for a skanky hoe, or an overweight stripper. What's the point? It's not like things are going to get done anyway, it's the same **** every single time.
              That's exactly how most russians think. Because of a long tradition of a complete retards ruling our country, we don't say: "finally, we elected Putin". It's more along the lines: "at last God sent us Putin".
              Knowledge is Power

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

That's kind of the idealized New England model which is how it used to be in many places. People would have a meeting in town hall and everyone in town would show up. Now days they have a meeting in town hall in a city of 1.2 million, 25 people show up, and 5 of them are on the city council and the other 20 are paid by special interests. The average people don't seem to bother any more.
                off the top of my head there arent ANY municipalities in New England with a pop that big - Im pretty sure even Boston is less than a million - and Boston hasnt been governed by a town meeting in ages. Neither has Cambridge, or Providence, or Hartford, or .....

New Englanders are actually not stupid, and when a town gets too big for town meeting to work, they generally switch govt forms. And in a town that DOES have a town meeting there is no city council. The permanent body for conducting business between town meetings is called the board of selectmen, and primarily exercises executive functions.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                  Yes,
                  democracy ifs far away from the best system possible,
                  yet still the best system we currently have in the world.
                  Nah, so called "enlightened dictatorship" is better by far. The problem is that generally it's not perfect enough anyway. And it ends sooner or later.

However, we never saw a real democracy. It's more along the lines of plutocracy and mediacracy.
                  Knowledge is Power

Comment

Originally posted by Ellestar

Nah, so called "enlightened dictatorship" is better by far. The problem is that generally it's not perfect enough anyway.

BUt sometimes it is, evidently

"My boyfriend is in trouble again,

He got into a fight and got stoned on something,

I am sick of him and so I told him, get out of here,

And now I want a man like Putin.

A man like Putin, full of energy,

A man like Putin who doesn't drink,

A man like Putin who wouldn't hurt me,

A man like Putin who wouldn't run away from me.

I saw him in the news yesterday,

He was saying the world was at the crossroads,

It's easy with a man like him at home or out and about,

And now I want a man like Putin. "
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Nah, Putin isn't a dictator. Besides, all haters of Russia forget that he was elected in a fair way. I talked about China, for example.
                      Knowledge is Power

Comment

Originally posted by Ellestar

Nah, so called "enlightened dictatorship" is better by far.
                        By what standards?
                        Blah

Comment

Working...
                        X