Dani Bunten to join video game HOF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dani Bunten to join video game HOF

Dani Bunten (f/k/a Dan Bunten) is to be named posthumously to the video game HOF. For those of you not in the know, she/he was one of 4 developers of M.U.L.E. (a large development team at the time), still the best market/business video game ever created, IMO. Seven Cities of Gold was a really fun game as well.

Sid Meier is accepting the award on Bunten's behalf. Way to go, Sid.

By way of background, M.U.L.E. was done by Ozark Softscape and published by Electronic Arts. The Gamasutra article mentions that she/he also was at Microprose for a time.

For those interested, you can still play M.U.L.E. on a Commodore 64 emulator. It's a simple muliplayer market game with 4 commodities plus land.

Dani Bunten To Join AIAS Hall of Fame

Dani Bunten To Join AIAS Hall of Fame The late M.U.L.E. developer Dani Bunten (also known as Danielle Berry) is to become the latest video game designer to be enrolled in the AIAS Hall of Fame, following luminaries including Shigeru Miyamoto, Sid Meier, Hironobu Sakaguchi, John Carmack, Will Wright, Yu Suzuki, Peter Molyneux, Trip Hawkins and Richard Garriott.

Born Daniel Bunten, before undergoing gender reassignment surgery in 1992, Bunten’s name is perhaps less recognizable than previous inductees, although her legacy is no less significant. She developed the seminal Atari 800 multiplayer game M.U.L.E. for Electronic Arts in 1983, followed by adventure title The Seven Cities of Gold in 1985 and Modem Wars in 1988 – the first multiplayer game to be playable online via a modem.

After joining MicroProse, she produced a board game adaptation of Axis and Allies named Command HQ in 1990 and another first in four-player online title Global Conquest. Bunten’s last game before her death from lung cancer in 1998 was Warsport for MPath – a remake of the earlier Modem Wars.

Bunten was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Computer Game Developers Association in 1998, just two months before her death. Although not yet officially announced, consumer website GameSpot has reported that the AIAS award will be given at the D.I.C.E. Summit on February 8th, with former MicroProse colleague Sid Meier accepting the award on Bunten’s behalf.
    Last edited by DanS; January 25, 2007, 12:03.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Transexual chainsmoking cancervictim.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Did you ever play M.U.L.E.?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
      X