Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My master's degree and the state of my life right now

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by LordShiva
    Heresson

    Comment


    • #17
      Pekka
      Zylka
      wtf Heresson?
      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

      Comment


      • #18
        thank you all.

        I have a new grave problem. My computer is broken again. But this time kind of more serious - it's not a matter of Windows. It just doesn't respond. It's completely out. I carried it to university in hurry and I must have made harm to it. Damn, damn damn.
        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
        Middle East!

        Comment


        • #19
          "but my life is so boring I have to share it with someone. Kind of like Pekka"

          My life is not boring. You are boring.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Pekka
            "but my life is so boring I have to share it with someone. Kind of like Pekka"

            My life is not boring. You are boring.
            it wouldn't hurt You if You knew it wasn't truth
            and You wouldn't reply this way if You weren't hurt
            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
            Middle East!

            Comment


            • #21
              I'm not hurt. I just wanted to let you know, that I quite enjoy my life, and it's not boring at all.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

              Comment


              • #22
                Heresson, now you have your education, it is time for you to come to London and unblock some toilets!
                Speaking of Erith:

                "It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Zkribbler
                  Zkribbler reads:

                  Cookies??
                  I love cookies

                  Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                  tldr
                  what does it mean?

                  Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                  Why not try to get a degree and then work abroad, where there is need for arab historians?

                  USA or Israel are good options.

                  And don't be sad.

                  We're all a little wierd on this site
                  It's very hard to get to USA, and I wouldn't like it anyway, probably. There are no baroque, gothic, romanesque churches, castles, monasteries... nah.
                  And Americans seem scary.

                  Israel... I wouldn't mind living in Israel, except for that I'd feel a bit like a traitor to Arabs, 'cos it'd mean acceptance of israeli politics, and I wouldn't be able to visit arab countries but Egypt and Jordan.

                  Originally posted by Odin
                  on translating that chronicle.

                  Good luck at getting a Ph.D.
                  thanks!

                  Originally posted by LordShiva
                  Heresson
                  Shiva

                  Originally posted by aneeshm
                  aneeshm likes me


                  I won't be able to make a shiny career at university since I don't have the guts to force my family with me for several years in other places, like most probably Germany, which would be essential (not last, I don't do this because my gf is bringing real money home, working as a teacher, while I'm still dirt poor).
                  Why do You HAVE to go to Germany to make a career? Don't You have universities in Austria?

                  Just one question, if you don't mind: what makes you so sure about not having a family?
                  I'm gay

                  From what I've gathered, you're pretty good with your translations and in your fields, so you should do some lobbying for it. Heck, even if it's medieval studies, the current market for islamic and arabic studies has become bigger since 9-11 - Poland being especially involved. Try to carve out some project, talk to medium level politicians if there's a way to fund your PhD (or you'd have to emigrate and make Great Britain profit from your expertise).
                  I know next to nothing about current arabic politics, so I doubt the British would be interested in me
                  Politicians funding my project? I never thought of that and I can not imagine it. Why would they want to? It's a medieval chronicle... no use of it today...
                  except for one, perhaps... There's a great and influencial ultraconservative ultramontagne Radio Maryja in Poland. I thought I may propose them to read excerpts from the chronicle about muslim (and jewish, which makes it even better! ) persecutions of christians. I can imagine me reading in the radio the part of the chronicle with patriarch of Jerusalem being killed by muslims with assistance of jews, and millions of elderly women in Poland weeping, cursing jews & muslims, and praying. Bah, I am pretty sure such publishing officines as Antyk, which likes xenophobic and antisemitic literature a lot, would be most happy to give me work I guess, except for that I am possibly partially jewish myself, and gay. But that would make me fall into ghetto of extremist right-wingers.
                  I may be able to convince some moderate catholic publishers to publish my work. It tells the story of the biggest persecution that happened to christians in the Holy Land in the last 1500 years. They should be interested.

                  Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                  Heresson, now you have your education, it is time for you to come to London and unblock some toilets!


                  Originally posted by Spiffor

                  I felt much better after that, especially when material things started to get better afterwards (finally got back to a job, started studying again with ease, moving my big ass for politics etc.)

                  Since then (august), my downtime sounds like a sucky memory, but it's clearly behind me now
                  Good for You
                  French politics?

                  My computer somehow recovered. I don't know what's been wrong with it. It didn't work in several places, with different plugs, and suddenly it started working again.

                  Yet, its temporary disorder made me unable to get ready for my speech in front of my class and additionally nervous. And I didn't get the grade I wanted.
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                    Heresson, now you have your education, it is time for you to come to London and unblock some toilets!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Heresson
                      Why do You HAVE to go to Germany to make a career? Don't You have universities in Austria?
                      Sure, but the curricula of basically all higher university stuff contain several years abroad. And finally, you end up on the other side of the word. I.e., we in Graz have the professors who were born in Hamburg or Cologne and send ours to Bremen and Rostock instead.


                      I'm gay
                      I had the suspicion you were, but I didn't know you know you are.
                      Anyway, it's OK, that's pretty Catholic.



                      except for that I am possibly partially jewish myself, and gay. But that would make me fall into ghetto of extremist right-wingers.
                      Nah, just be sure you become a priest. Once ordained, anything you do will be "swept under the mat". Make yourself a name by calling jews names and justify violence against gays as compensation. Works since centuries.

                      Version 2: You found a family anyway: in Catholicism sex isn't about fun, it's a duty for procreation.

                      I know next to nothing about current arabic politics, so I doubt the British would be interested in me
                      Politicians funding my project? I never thought of that and I can not imagine it. Why would they want to? It's a medieval chronicle... no use of it today...
                      except for one, perhaps... There's a great and influencial ultraconservative ultramontagne Radio Maryja in Poland. I thought I may propose them to read excerpts from the chronicle about muslim (and jewish, which makes it even better! ) persecutions of christians. I can imagine me reading in the radio the part of the chronicle with patriarch of Jerusalem being killed by muslims with assistance of jews, and millions of elderly women in Poland weeping, cursing jews & muslims, and praying. Bah, I am pretty sure such publishing officines as Antyk, which likes xenophobic and antisemitic literature a lot, would be most happy to give me work I guess,
                      [...]
                      I may be able to convince some moderate catholic publishers to publish my work. It tells the story of the biggest persecution that happened to christians in the Holy Land in the last 1500 years. They should be interested.
                      Of course, modern arabic history is even more en vogue but argumenting well, that we also have to understand better the very basis of the social development in the muslim world we have to understand their identity, which even more depends on a historical basis. E.g., when Iranians form laws concerning the ahl ad'dimma, they're still referring to medieval precedences, etc.

                      It's not entirely impossible that some politician or institution is just waiting to spend some money, using their sponsoring in turn to demonstrate whatever to whoever. It'w sometimes weird what institutions sponser all kinds of investigation. A friend of mine works on traders' networks between Seville and Genoa ~1600 and he's funded by a bank institute...
                      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Polish archaeological teams have made

                        impressive finds in Egypt in recent years. Ancient Egypt seems to be the main interest of these teams. However there are a great many later sites there of arab origin, many of which were built over earlier sites. I don't know if they need an hisorian with them on the dig site but certainly they need someone who knows arabic. Someone who can translate arabic from the original sources might potentially be a great help to archaeologists willing to look at historical sources for clues as to what happened after the arab expansion into North Africa. And I'm sure Egypt's Cultural and Antiquites Ministry would probably be happy to have foreign archaeological teams actually pay attention to the Arabic period for a change. You know someone who can actually understand the importance of the later arabic sites that often have to be dug to get to the really old Egytian stuff.

                        Maybe you wouldn't actually have to leave Poland to do the translation work.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                          Heresson, now you have your education, it is time for you to come to London and unblock some toilets!
                          Damn. Brutal but honest.

                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            Heresson, now you have your education, it is time for you to come to London and unblock some toilets!


                            That's ****ing evil
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Speaking of Erith:

                              "It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

                              Comment


                              • #30


                                WTFp!

                                ^standard for; "what the **** pekka!"
                                Monkey!!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X