No announcement yet.

I gave my first job interview today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I gave my first job interview today...

And man, is it better to be on that side of the table. I think I came off a nice guy, even though this guy started off with a handicap of being from the University of Toronto.

Turned out he didn't know jack **** though, so that was an entertaining 50 minutes. Started out with simple basic stuff:

Q: "Can you explain inheritance from a programming perspective?"

A: "Uh........um....I thought this interview would be about Java, not C++."

!!!

Nice guy that I was, after every question he completely flubbed I explained it to him, even drawing on the whiteboard.

Other funniest part? He had a masters degree (electric engineering) and was about 5 years older than me. Bwa-haha.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

A: "Uh........um....I thought this interview would be about Java, not C++."

Comment

Oh, an engineer. Makes sense.

Comment

He also wore a really fancy looking suit, while I was in jeans and a Calgary Flames hoody.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Other highlights:

Q: "There are three accessibility scopes in Java and C++. Public, private, and..."
          A: "Uh....um....I don't know."
          Q: "Protected."
          A: "Oh. That's the first I've heard of that." !!
          /me glances at resume.
          Q: "It says on your resume you know Java. Can you please elaborate on your experience with Java?"
          A: "I made a minesweeper applet..."

Comment

Interviewing is fun. I do the analytical case interviews, and I'm a sadistic *******.
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Asher:

I gave my first blowjob today...

And man, is it better to be on that side of the table. I think I came off a good tasting nice guy, even though this guy started off with a handicap of being from the University of Toronto.
              it was too easy...

anyway, good thing for you Asher about the interview, you're a lucky and, maybe, a talented guy!
              bleh

Comment

I interview people all the time...getting tired of it too.

I want someone to do the hireing for me...but I dont have enough confidence in other poeple for me to let them hire people that will work for me...I'm stupid that way.

I have a lot of trouble delegating work as I nevr beleive it will be done the right way, hence, my way..

Spec.
                -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  Oh, an engineer. Makes sense.
                  It's funny how perceptions and realities change radically between cultures. Over here, an engineering degree or a tech degree is much more prized than a science degree in the same discipline. That, of course, may be because the engineering degree is usually much more rigorous and much tougher.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                    It's funny how perceptions and realities change radically between cultures. Over here, an engineering degree or a tech degree is much more prized than a science degree in the same discipline. That, of course, may be because the engineering degree is usually much more rigorous and much tougher.
                    Engineering degrees are prized over here, but an electrical engineer applying for a software consulting job is just wrong. When he has no software experience.

It's like a Philosophy major applying for a job as a skyscraper designer.

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
                      I interview people all the time...getting tired of it too.

I want someone to do the hireing for me...but I dont have enough confidence in other poeple for me to let them hire people that will work for me...I'm stupid that way.

I have a lot of trouble delegating work as I nevr beleive it will be done the right way, hence, my way..

Spec.
                      What kind of job do you interview for?

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                        Engineers are usually smart people with extensive skills in their domain. In my experience they're also usually terrible programmers.

Comment

Well, if you're applying for a position where you need to know something about programming, and you have no idea what inheritance is.. I mean, that's just going to end the chances, there's no two ways about it.

edit: ah, consulting. Well, the way I see consulting SHOULD be done, in any form, is that you actually know the field very well, you should know it enough to be able to work in that very position. I mean, you're supposed to be an expert.. So basically, what you're telling me, is that if he were to do consulting on software, the only thing he could do is read the marketing material and repeat it time after time, and that's it, hoping no questions are ever asked.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            It's like a Philosophy major applying for anything.
                            ...is what I thought you were going to say.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I was seriously debating "Philosophy major applying for a garbage collector job", but some people may not see that as I intended.

Comment

Working...
                              X