Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking on southerners for reaction to snow

OK.

There are plenty of good reasons to mock people from the American southeast (referred to by other Americans as "southerners"), but I've always felt that making fun of them for their reaction to snow was a bit unfair. After all, wouldn't most warm climes react badly to a rare snowfall?

Apparently, they do.

Sorry, Malibu, but in the interest of fairness, it had to be pointed out.
    "It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange." --Takeshi Kaga

Well the difference, is that Atlanta seems to get some snow every year now. Sure it's once a year, but it's not exactly the same as: "Snow last seen in 1962."
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Atlanta is probably a bad example. Due to the road layout, it's an unnavigable mess even in high summer!
      "It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange." --Takeshi Kaga

Comment

Oh, it's quite navigable, just choked with traffic, and with traffic lights that really, really need to be reprogrammed.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Eh, we allways get "surprised by snow", ambush-style. And "we" are the bloody northern finns.
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Why pick on them for this when there are so many better reasons?
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

For example, an recent insurance survey shows Southerners as the nation's worst drivers.

In fact, if you're a male Southerner driving at 2 a.m. on a Saturday, you're not going to make it to whereever ir is you're going.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                For example, an recent insurance survey shows Southerners as the nation's worst drivers.

In fact, if you're a male Southerner driving at 2 a.m. on a Saturday, you're not going to make it to whereever ir is you're going.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Perhaps people should not drive while drunk. Just a thought.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                  Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                  One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                    Oh, it's quite navigable, just choked with traffic, and with traffic lights that really, really need to be reprogrammed.
                    you could say that about every american city. Including mine.

Comment

lol, my mom is in Los Angeles to see his brothers...

She escaped Montreal, hoping that in LA it would be a little hotter and without snow!! I'll call her tonight, to make fun of her!
                      bleh

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc

She escaped Montreal, hoping that in LA it would be a little hotter and without snow!! I'll call her tonight, to make fun of her!
                          High was predicted to be 70 F today.

Comment

I forgive the South. What I can't forgive is are Northern and relatively Northern cities (residents and municiple govts.) like Pittsburgh and Washington DC, which both gets snow every year and both react as if they've never seen the stuff and have no idea what the stuff if. That, basically, is how a cat reacts to snow.
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

you could say that about every american city. Including mine.
                              Not really. Some cities have lights that aren't particularly retarded, even if the traffic problems exist. In Atlanta, if you're in downtown and trying to cross the highway at like 10th or 14th street, it's entirely possible that you could get stuck 10-15 mins without moving because of the lights.

Basically, the light on the far side of the highway turns green... cars go off the bridge over the highway, you have a red light. Cars exiting the highway go onto the bridge filling it back up. Your light turns green... you have nowhere to go. Your light turns red, far side light turns green, cars leave the bridge, but cars exiting the highway have a greenlight and refill the bridge. By the time your light turns green, there's a bridge full of cars waiting at a red light
                              -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                              X