The Old and the New - the Ant and the Grasshopper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tacc

I think it is a fundamental misunderstanding between cultures. Here in civilisation, Aneeshm, we consider helping disadvantaged people to be a good thing.
    Speak for yourself freeloader advocate.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

We see the attempt and style at humor in the joke, certainly, but it's not terribly funny. It's predictable, it's tired, and we don't get the cultural references.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

But I can't believe how people distort a simple fable. The ant and the grasshopper had equal opportunities, but one used it and the other didn't. The one who used the opportunity benefited, and the one who didn't, didn't. It's that simple. It does not consider the case of unequal opportunities (which is what happens many times due to poverty) at all. Why people have to see conspiracies where there are none is hard to understand.

This is the same level of distortion as when a DMK politician said that Bharat, Ram's brother, not only seized his kingdom, but also went to the forest to steal his slippers .

Comment

But I can't believe how people distort a simple fable.

Indeed. The OP is quite obscene in this regard
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Ah, so you admit it's a fable, not a joke.

A fable is a story that makes a moral point. Here, I'll quote the dictionary:

a fictitious narrative or statement: as a : a legendary story of supernatural happenings b : a narration intended to enforce a useful truth; especially : one in which animals speak and act like human beings
            The point of your fable is that poor people are poor because they're irresponsible slackers (grasshoppers) and rich people are rich because they're responsible and hard-working (ants). The rest flows from there. The cultural references are clearly specific to India, but it could be just about anywhere.

I got it just fine. No distortion necessary. I think it's you who doesn't understand what you posted.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
              But I can't believe how people distort a simple fable. The ant and the grasshopper had equal opportunities, but one used it and the other didn't. The one who used the opportunity benefited, and the one who didn't, didn't. It's that simple. It does not consider the case of unequal opportunities (which is what happens many times due to poverty) at all. Why people have to see conspiracies where there are none is hard to understand
              Seriously we know. Been there seen it. This was going around (no lie) 10 or more years ago. No Indian references plenty of US references. While the message may be something I actually in some degree agree with the format is old hat.

Translation - Not Funny, tired an old and has too many references of Indian culture to be appreciated by the wider Poly audience.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

It isn't that we don't "get" the joke - it isn't that difficult to understand.
                Rather, he is whining that we don't find his hatred for the poor to be "amusing" or "funny"
                You, sir, are crazy, and I say that in the kindest possible way. I do not "hate" the poor. I do not "despise" them, as you claim. If you saw the sort of poverty I do on a daily basis, and the reasons for it, it would be impossible for you to EVER hate the poor. I consider myself extremely lucky to be born into a situation where I am not poor, given the prevalence of poverty in India, and the sheer abjectness and wretchedness of the poor. I am thankful for being born into the middle-class.

I think it is a fundamental misunderstanding between cultures.
                I think it's a set of fundamental misunderstandings in your head.

Here in civilisation, Aneeshm, we consider helping disadvantaged people to be a good thing.
                So you imply that I'm living in barbarism? You who supported the Soviet Union? Who supported the worst sort of oppression for the rich, you whose people went to the extent of trying to exterminate all who could read, or who wore glasses, you whose ideology is the one which worked people to death for the sake of five-year-plans, you of all people have the temerity to accuse me of not caring for the disadvantaged or of living in a barbaric country? You?

We don't think it's acceptable for people to just die because they happend to be born in a lower social "caste" (something else that the civilised world has done away with, btw.)
                Neither did we, ever. Where DO you get your ideas of India from? And we have also done away with caste around fifty years ago. In another fifty, it should be fully gone, because not it has lost the support of everyone, and the orthodoxy are actively working against it.

But I realise that there are still many in India who cling to the old ways.
                The old ways of respecting, revering, and cherishing the country and its heritage?

You must have been really frustrated when India became a republic, the sight of all those people having freedom...and now India proposes to do away with things like caste and to promote social welfare and prosperity....
                Again, your crazy is showing. I thank God that India became a republic, because that was and is the only way. But I want even more freedom, and I want the government to stop messing with religious matters. I also don't believe in coercive systems. Real freedom is apparently unacceptable to commies.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                  Ah, so you admit it's a fable, not a joke.

A fable is a story that makes a moral point. Here, I'll quote the dictionary:
                  I referred to the original fable, on which the joke was based.

Originally posted by Arrian

The point of your fable is that poor people are poor because they're irresponsible slackers (grasshoppers) and rich people are rich because they're responsible and hard-working (ants).
                  The point is that the one who uses the opportunities presented prospers, whereas the lazy one who does not, does not.

In the case of the fable, both had EQUAL OPPORTUNITY! One used it, the other didn't. It DOES NOT consider the case of unequal opportunity AL ALL! Why can't you understand this simple fact?

Comment

Here in civilisation
                    You finally moved to Europe?
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Guys, you totally missed the point. Aneeshm is complaining about the huge Muslim problem in India. I agree with him, something ought to be done.

Comment

So you imply that I'm living in barbarism?
                        I don't think that some of your values, such as your anti-value on helping the poor, is up to civilised standards.

You who supported the Soviet Union?

No.

You?
                        The italics (not preserved here) are really a nice addition An interesting adhominem-strawman combination to divert attention from your barbaric story.

nd we have also done away with caste around fifty years ago.

Oh yes, civilised India has. I'm not saying *India* is the uncivilised entity here - India has made remarkable progress.

The old ways of respecting, revering, and cherishing the country and its heritage?

If by "respecting the country and its heritage" you mean "enforcing state-sponsored oppression of lower castes and poor people under the false belief that they deserve their status because they are lazy and stupid", then yes, there are many in India who cling to that. Sir.

But I want even more freedom, and I want the government to stop messing with religious matters.

So the government shouldn't step in to help the poor when your pet religion says to oppress them? WTF?

I also don't believe in coercive systems. Real freedom is apparently unacceptable to commies.

Yes, because clearly enforcing the Indian constitution is "coercive". I guess you would prefer anarchy, though, considering that your spiteful ideology has been rejected and denounced by civilised people everywhere. The only way for you to ever enforce your viewpoint on the world would be in an anarchy, where the forces of civilisation and democracy are not present to hold you back.

The belief that people who are disadvantaged deserve their status is something that was done away by the West and by India long ago. I'm just sad that, under the rhetoric of "freedom" and even "anticommunism" you attempt to promote this archaic and uncivilised belief.
                        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

In the case of the fable, both had EQUAL OPPORTUNITY! One used it, the other didn't. It DOES NOT consider the case of unequal opportunity AL ALL! Why can't you understand this simple fact?

You're either incredibly naive, or being deliberately obtuse.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                            Guys, you totally missed the point. Aneeshm is complaining about the huge Muslim problem in India. I agree with him, something ought to be done.
                            wtf Kuci?

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                              This is the same level of distortion as when a DMK politician said that Bharat, Ram's brother, not only seized his kingdom, but also went to the forest to steal his slippers .
                              You're right - I nearly pissed myself laughing at that one too. Ah, the foibles of those silly DMKers.
                              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I don't think that some of your values, such as your anti-value on helping the poor, is up to civilised standards.
                                I am helping the poor, I just don't want it to be done with coercive methods and by stealing or extorting people's wealth.

You who supported the Soviet Union?

No.
                                What sort of communist are you, then?

The italics (not preserved here) are really a nice addition
                                Thank you. I attempt to be a master of rehtoric.

An interesting adhominem-strawman combination to divert attention from your barbaric story.
                                What barbaric story?

nd we have also done away with caste around fifty years ago.

Oh yes, civilised India has. I'm not saying *India* is the uncivilised entity here - India has made remarkable progress.
                                Neither I, nor the people in whose society I move, are caste-conscious. What's the point you're trying to make?

If by "respecting the country and its heritage" you mean "enforcing state-sponsored oppression of lower castes and poor people under the false belief that they deserve their status because they are lazy and stupid", then yes, there are many in India who cling to that. Sir.
                                That is obviously not what I mean, and I presume you know it.

But I want even more freedom, and I want the government to stop messing with religious matters.

So the government shouldn't step in to help the poor when your pet religion says to oppress them? WTF?
                                My "pet" religion is the one whose every institution is engaged in a fierce effort to eradicate caste.

I also don't believe in coercive systems. Real freedom is apparently unacceptable to commies.

Yes, because clearly enforcing the Indian constitution is "coercive". I guess you would prefer anarchy, though, considering that your spiteful ideology has been rejected and denounced by civilised people everywhere. The only way for you to ever enforce your viewpoint on the world would be in an anarchy, where the forces of civilisation and democracy are not present to hold you back.
                                Wait a minute. I think NOW I see where you're coming from. Which ideology exactly are you referring to? My support of capitalism? Or of freedom of religion? Or of separation of church and state? Or of the freedom of speech and press? What exactly are you against?

The belief that people who are disadvantaged deserve their status is something that was done away by the West and by India long ago. I'm just sad that, under the rhetoric of "freedom" and even "anticommunism" you attempt to promote this archaic and uncivilised belief.
                                Again, this is a strawman. People do not "deserve" anything except a basic minimum of opportunity. It is the job of social institutions to provide that minimum opportunity. I believe that these social institutions must not be coercive. Is that such a bad thing?

Comment

Working...
                                X