Budget cuts or political meddling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget cuts or political meddling?

It seems the Bush administration has made the decision to close large numbers of EPA libraries (used for making publically available research about the environment) as well as to discontinue carrying several journals which have been vocal about the need to take action against global warming. The Administration claims it is just budget cuts however the administration continues to funnel money at organizations it likes while continually slashing the EPA and blocking investigations for political reasons. I'm leaning towards political meddling in an attempt to attack scientists who point out the negative effects of Bush policies.

EPA gets an earful on library closures
    Decision derided as harmful to agency's own employees

By ROBERT McCLURE
    P-I REPORTER

A national controversy over cutbacks and outright closings of Environmental Protection Agency libraries came to Seattle over the weekend as librarians from around the country told EPA officials the agency is undercutting its own workers, its scientists and the public.

Across vast stretches of the heartland, EPA scientists, university researchers and others have scrambled to locate documents once easily found by librarians in the agency's regional headquarters, said participants in the America Library Association annual conference.

It's a development that critics fear could befall the Seattle EPA library, where hours of operation already have been reduced.

With a congressional investigation pending, agency officials responded that they are merely trying to move the EPA libraries' contents onto the Internet, where people worldwide can use them more readily.

But critics, including current and former EPA workers, say that's not how it's working out. Nearly all the documents not actually written by the EPA would not be put online, EPA officials told them, because of copyright restrictions.

"Academic scientists are very unhappy with this," said Michelle McKnelly, a librarian at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls.

Complaints at the library association's Saturday session at the Washington State Convention and Trade Center came mostly from librarians who work in a 15-state swath of the country stretching from Ohio and Minnesota to New Mexico and Louisiana. The three EPA regional libraries serving those states were shut down.

"When the Chicago (EPA library) closed we suddenly got an increase in inquiries from EPA employees," Aimee Quinn, who worked until recently at the University of Illinois-Chicago, told EPA officials. "The burden you put on my library was very difficult."

Mike Flynn, director of the agency's Office of Information Analysis and Access said that the whole affair has caused misunderstanding of the agency's true aim: to make the EPA's information more widely available.

advertising
    "One of the key things here is increasing access," Flynn told the librarians. "I know I have a lot of skeptics in the room, but our intention is to maintain access to the documents."

The EPA libraries were well used. Internal EPA documents obtained by the Seattle P-I show that more than 20,000 requests for quick reference and another 20,000-plus requests for extended research were filled by EPA librarians in fiscal year 2005, the latest statistics available. The figure for database and literature searches exceeded 85,000. Of those, the three now-closed EPA libraries in Chicago, Kansas City and Dallas handled more 32,000 requests, records show.

The documents in those libraries were boxed up and sent to headquarters to be put on the Internet. But in the meantime many documents remain unavailable. Even more harmful, critics said, is that librarians who had become experts on those collections were given their walking papers.

Also closed were EPA's headquarters library and an EPA library in Washington, D.C., specializing in the effects and properties of various chemicals. Hours were reduced in Boston, New York and San Francisco, as well as Seattle.

The Government Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress, has launched an investigation, and congressional hearings are planned.

An EPA cost-benefit analysis said the libraries provided "substantial value" to the agency, with every dollar spent there saving from $2 to $5.70 in costs -- not including "unquantifiable benefits such as the higher quality of information typically found with the assistance of a librarian," the Congressional Research Service concluded.

Inside the agency, managers at the Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance described themselves as "concerned" in an internal August memo that said, "Our employees need information which is current, timely, correct and accessible. ... OECA needs to ensure that its employees continued to have access to the information that is critical for them to do their jobs."

Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, an environmental group, has heard many complaints from workers inside the agency, said Executive Director Jeff Ruch, who called the closures "positively Orwellian."

"Our view is that it takes a special talent to make libraries controversial," Ruch said.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

In the vein of useless factoids that attempt to slam by insinuation I present:

"If it smells like Tuna it must be Nancy"

By The Gun Toting Liberal @ 12:58 pm on January 12, 2007.
    Can anybody say “hypocrite”? The GOP can, and apparently, with good reason, and from the “it takes one to know one” perspective, too.

From the Washington Times:

GOP hits Pelosi’s ‘hypocrisy’ on wage bill
    By Charles Hurt

House Republicans yesterday declared “something fishy” about the major tuna company in House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s San Francisco district being exempted from the minimum-wage increase that Democrats approved this week.
    “I am shocked,” said Rep. Eric Cantor, Virginia Republican and his party’s chief deputy whip, noting that Mrs. Pelosi campaigned heavily on promises of honest government. “Now we find out that she is exempting hometown companies from minimum wage. This is exactly the hypocrisy and double talk that we have come to expect from the Democrats.”
    On Wednesday, the House voted to raise the minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.25 per hour….”
    Nice try, Congressman Cantor — it’s not just a “Democrat” thing, it’s a “Democrat” AND “Republican” thing. You’re ALL a bunch of untrustworthy, hypocritical BUMS, and sneaky little items such as this one by Speaker Pelosi, and the pathetic attempt by YOU to take the “moral high ground” in this issue is just exactly what Americans are becoming disgusted with. The day the GOP takes the moral high ground over ANYBODY is a day which will never dawn.

That stated, what’s up, Speaker Pelosi? Why do you intentionally go out of your way to discriminate against the minimum wage earners in your own district? The smell of tuna pork is wafting through the air and the San Francisco-based Sunkist employees won’t be able to afford to eat any of it. Is this how the Democrats demonstrate their “tough on corruption” and “tough on earmarks” stance? If so, get ready to be FIRED SOON.

Another quote from the Washington Times article:

“… “I was troubled to learn of this exemption,” said Rep. Mark Steven Kirk, Illinois Republican. “My intention was to raise the minimum wage for everyone. We shouldn’t permit any special favors or exemptions that are not widely discussed in Congress. This is the problem with rushing legislation through without full debate.”
    A spokeswoman for Mrs. Pelosi said Wednesday that the speaker has not been lobbied in any way by StarKist or Del Monte. …”
    Yeah, RIGHT. Bay Area bloggers — get ON IT. Dig up the dirt. There is no way in HELL Speaker Pelosi goes out of her way to make a special, discriminatory, perhaps, even (a stretch) UNCONSTITUTIONALLY discriminatory earmark to protect one particular company from having to pay a fair wage to their hard working employees unless she is returning a little “favor” of some sort. The sooner somebody digs up the truth in this matter, the sooner we can send Speaker Pelosi and her buddies in Congress a crystal clear message that the reason we put them into office is to CLEAN UP the disgusting crookedness of D.C., not to enjoy their own crack at it after the GOPs’ twelve year assault upon Middle America and our Constitution.

Yes, I voted almost straight-ticket BLUE, and given the choices, YES, I’d most likely vote blue again next time, but I WILL NOT just stand by and allow the Democrats to waltz in and engage in criminal activity before our eyes without calling them crooks. And have no doubt about it, Speaker Pelosi is off to a pretty bad start. First, she tried to appoint an ABSCAM crook to be her right hand man. Second, she wasted millions of our tax dollars on her inaugaration parties, and now this?

Nice message you’re sending out there, Speaker Pelosi Legosi — NOT.
    Linky Link
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Gun toting liberal

Closing the EPA libraries

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Question: Can congress somehow also exempt that company from California minimum wage?
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

I don't believe so.

Comment

In that case, does it really matter? I was under the impression that the CA wage will still be higher than the federal minimum wage.*

* - I could be horribly misinformed.
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
              Question: Can congress somehow also exempt that company from California minimum wage?
              Possibly. It depends on how they do it. There would be other consequences though.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                In that case, does it really matter? I was under the impression that the CA wage will still be higher than the federal minimum wage.*

* - I could be horribly misinformed.
                It is higher even after the proposed increase plus the CA minimium wage will automatically increase by $1 on Jan 1st 2008 and again on Jan 1st 2009.

Comment

The company's in American Samoa, not California. Strictly speaking, American Samoa was already exempt from federal minimum wage laws (that must mean Gingrich had Starkist connections ). Its minimum wage is set by some federal commission. The original legislation the House passed removed the exemption in the Marianas (which doesn't have a similar commission, AFAIK). Supposedly that was due to more frequent labor abuse in the Marianas (see Jack A), but I don't really know how well that claim holds up. Anyways, after the uproar, the House closed the Samoan loophole.
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                  X