Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you think it's just going overboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you think it's just going overboard?

I mean about jobs and your qualifications for it.

Since I'm a working man now while being a student (wow, I'm a building block of the society, now I can REALLY bash alcoholic losers and be _right_), it's like jeesh. I love the stuff I'm doing, because it's very versatile. But it turned out, I need to do some more studying to truly do my job well. Fortunately, I can and I will. So, I'm taking some geoinformatics.. and so far I've done some bioinformatics, lots of software engineering and math, plus side shows like business and Asia studies.

So.. but I need all this stuff in my work now. Everything is now cross and slash everything. So, before the hospital thing, which I am doing, I prepared for that. Need to know whats' going on in there. Need to know the lingo, the systems etc. Need to some some basics here.

Now, I need to yet expand to geoinformatics, and this is equally important. All this, just to do this one freaking thing. So when is it just going overboard? I mean, these I really do need, but... it seems a bit ridiculous now. I do understand that I really need to do this stuff to do the actual job, it is a requirement for it. But then, while I'm doing my thesis for this, then I might have to expand yet more, do some bonus stuff, just to get that thing where I want it to be.

It used to be enough to know one field.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Also, they said to me they need people who work on the stuff I currently do, and that there's just.. they have to rip the folks who are doing my thing from the get go, just because there is no people doing it that much so I'm needed. I was like, is that a job offer?

And I had to turn down a job from my old company today, I mean I saw one co-worker from there who said when I'll be returning and that I should call them, so I just said I won't be coming for any time soon. It's like job over there, job over here, what you wanna do, jobs jobs jobs jobs. All nice ones. You wanna study further, get a job from here, what you want, tell me grasshopper!!!

I didn't tell them anything. I'll wager my options. May the best offer win!

I mean, I feel like the tables are turning. You know, I used to be like 'I wonder if I can get this job, I really hope they take me'. Even for crap jobs. Had no aces in my sleeves. Now, it seems like I'm starting to have the options to think where I want to work. It's a great feeling in a way, because you're in the driver seat. And I've noticed, that I've chosen a good negotiating style, which is not to say much. I listen, they know I have options. The tables have turned in that sense. So when you get an offer, it's an offer, not like a chance to not get a crap job.

I really feel this is starting to work really really well, my 5 year plan (which I stated here about.. 3 years ago?) is not only working, but it's working better than I thought. ONWARDS to bigger things! I really think I can aim at the top salaries in the next 10 years, should I have not chosen the set up my own business. I really think I can score big abroad, when the time is right.
    Last edited by Pekka; January 22, 2007, 11:19.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

*Mandatory* Wtf Pekka?

We should call you Pekka Trump. Think big.

Spec.
      Last edited by Spec; January 22, 2007, 11:26.
      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

So anyway, when do you think it's just going overboard with crossing fields and expanding?

Tell me what fields you have to utilize in your work, and not just obvious things, but things that require more than just common sense and knowledge.
        In da butt.

Comment

It's only to big when you're not really interested.

The thing is, if its your dream, it shouldn't really matter.

Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

yeah, absolutely, that's a good way to put it.

But not in that context... I know that's the only way to interpret my post. But I mean more like in general sense. as you know, there's limits when you must think this guy doesn't know anything well, just many things some. I mean, there are even people within the computer science field, who think you can't do good in many fields within. So, when is it too much? I think it's always personal, it depends who is doing it, can they absorb all that info in a meaningful way.

So far, it's working for me, because I need to utilize it all in work so it's not like there's an option not to get it. At the same time, I think it's great. I like to get paid for expanding my own competence. I would NEVER want to be stuck in a job where I can't learn more, substantially more. Knowing new things is what I consider fun and fullfilling. How can you stop being curious? You have to be depressed to not be curious.
            In da butt.

Comment

It's really rare to see someone lack skills in his dream field.

Like drawing. Someone who loves art, but doesn't know how to draw a straight line, will probably not become a painter...but probably an art seller. You see?

But if his only goal is to draw, then you just got to do what you got to do and become as good as you can get. There is always a limit. But that limit is different for everyboy, in everyfield.

Spec.

Comment

But that's kind of different.. drawing takes drawing, not many different scientifical fields at the same time. I know you meant that if you like doing it, it won't be a problem at all.

THat's why I wanted to know what different fields people need in their job, plus when it just goes overboard, as in jeesh, let's just get new people who know this stuff instead of learning it ourselves.
                In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                X