help with ogg video files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with ogg video files

I have some video files encoded with Ogg Theora. I have all the proper codecs installed, but when I try to play them back it's extremely jerky. It will play too quickly for a second, pause, then play too quickly again, so the audio and video keep up but it's impossible to watch. I've used both WMP and DivX player, and tried to set the process priority above normal for each (to no effect). Help?

It sounds like bad encoding. If you can play the video it should just play. To be absolutely sure, play the video and rewind it. Does the speeding up happen in the same place? If so it's definitely the encoding.

Since I know next to nothing about video encoding don't bother asking me how to do it properly.

Comment

It happens throughout the entire video, every second. Fast, then a pause, fast, then a pause.

I think it has to be some sort of lag in the decoder (that's why I increased the priority of the process), but it could be something else.

Comment

I've run into that problem before (with different file formats). Generally I just try different players until one works.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Maybe Sir Ogg can assist?
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I've found that VLC plays ogg files best.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
              I've found that VLC plays ogg files best.
              I was going to recommend VLC. I find that it plays everything best.

Comment

VLC is ok, but often mplayer will work when VLC will not.
                http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

VLC worked great. I'm impressed; Ogg Theora is far superior to any other codec I've seen for the same bitrate, at least for anime.

Comment

You're welcome.
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X