X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Speach is the ****e

Woman Claims Dog Feces Is Political Expression
    Woman Sent Feces To Musgrave Wrapped In Mailer

(AP) GREELEY, Colo. Invoking Thomas Jefferson and Mr. Hankey from the television series "South Park," the lawyer for an ex-professor accused of leaving dog feces at a congresswoman's office said her client's actions qualify as protected speech under the First Amendment.

Kathleen Ensz faces a misdemeanor charge of "use of a noxious substance." She is accused of taking dog feces from her backyard, wrapping it in a political mailer from Rep. Marilyn Musgrave, and leaving it at the Republican's office, according to court documents.

Ensz, a Democrat, was angered by repeatedly receiving mailings from Musgrave, the documents said.

"What she did was probably crude and boorish," Patricia Bangert, one of Ensz's attorneys, argued during a hearing Tuesday, when she likened the conduct to a form of political protest such as Jefferson's criticism of the King of England.

Bangert held up Mr. Hankey, an animated, talking piece of human excrement from "South Park," as evidence of how commonplace feces is for expressing disdain.

"Etiquette and propriety aside, it is commonplace in today's society to equate a distasteful or disliked person, situation or thing, to feces," Bangert said.

Ensz, 63, a retired French professor from the University of Northern Colorado, was scheduled for trial in Weld County on May 15.

Musgrave's spokesman Aaron Johnson said, "Right now, this issue is between Ms. Ensz and law enforcement officials."

At the time of the incident last May, Musgrave's camp claimed the gesture was a political dirty trick and demanded an apology from Musgrave's likely Democratic opponent, state Rep. Angela Paccione of Fort Collins, who went on to lose the election to the incumbent.

Paccione's campaign denied any involvement.

(© 2007 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. )
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Speech in all its forms is not a blank cheque. When the state has a compelling interest regulating the form it takes, then I see no problem with doing so. This is one of those occasions. There is no reason to believe that the noxious substance law is being applied in order to limit this woman's freedom of speech. Rather, it's being applied because it's a nuisance to have to clean up dog turds. SImilarly, I'm not prohibited from shooting politicians (most definitely a method of exressing my disdain) because they don't want me telling people how angry I am, but because we can't have murders all over the place.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah this a big doh after alll is said and done, but humorous nonetheless if only for the extent people try to rationalize their actions.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Don't get me wrong; I appreciated the title.

It just gets on my nerves when people use freedom of speech or freedom of religion to justify all sorts of stupid stuff.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

She just wanted to show a Republican what a Republican is made of.

doody for a doody

Comment

She was apparently talking out of her ass.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Nice
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                X