Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Owner of posh NYC shop sues 4 homeless people ... for $1,000,000!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owner of posh NYC shop sues 4 homeless people ... for $1,000,000!

Doesn't that automatically make this an immediately dismissable frivolous lawsuit? Can the store owner be put to death as a summary decision by the presiding judge? Clearly he's polluting the gene pool A) for being a bastard and B) thinking there's a million dollars between four HOMELESS people living on the street ...

NYC shopkeeper sues to shoo HOMELESS

Thu Jan 18, 10:28 AM ET

NEW YORK - An antiques dealer sued four HOMELESS people, seeking to keep them away from his store on a posh shopping street because, he says, they alienate customers and block window displays.

Store owner Karl Kemp also seeks $1 million from the four, named in the lawsuit as John Doe, Bob Doe, John Smith and Jane Doe.

The suit, filed this week, says they can often be found sleeping on the sidewalk, drinking alcoholic beverages and "performing various bodily functions such as urinating and spitting" outside Karl Kemp & Associates on Manhattan's Madison Avenue. Kemp seeks to keep them 100 feet from the store.

Kemp said he decided to sue after complaints to police brought no changes. He also said he was concerned about the health of one of the three men.

"You and I pay taxes in New York City, and some of that is to maintain decent shelters. And he should take advantage of that," Kemp said.

Advocates for the HOMELESS called the lawsuit hardhearted.

"Until we see to it that every single HOMELESS individual has a place to stay, this is our reality," said Shelly Nortz, a deputy executive director of the Coalition for the HOMELESS.

"The complaint that they somehow occasionally occupy a space that is also home to Gucci and Chanel doesn't mean that they're breaking any law," she said.
    Also, if he were actually "concerned about the health of one of the three men," wouldn't suing for whatever money the HOMELESS man had (let alone $1 million between the four) kind of negate any chance of him affording proper medical care? While we can argue at length about the responsibility of the individual to take advantage of services for the HOMELESS (though bear in mind, there simply isn't a 1 to 1 ratio of beds to HOMELESS even in a large rich city like NYC and more than that some HOMELESS persons are mentally ill so are less likely even to be aware or willing to utilize any available services), this lawsuit is disgusting on every level and is totally unwarranted. If anything he should be suing the police for not doing anything about his complaints ... as if there's anything they really could do.

I felt it important that the word HOMELESS be bold and blinky, just in case anyone is confused about the potential that any one of these four HOMELESS people is actually deserving of this kind of treatment from someone who probably can afford a million dollar lawsuit without suffering too much hardship ...
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

am i drunk, or is homeless flashing way too much?!
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

The blink tab is an abomition, and you are a tool.

Comment

Shut up, Wesley.

Comment

I like the BLINK TAG too.
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Annoying, but so is this lawsuit. They were made for each other.

Comment

Clearly you should have worked some marquees into your post.
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

WTF do you think this is, WTF is Eventis? I wanted at least some non-spammy discussion, but I can certainly repost over there so our wittle Wesley can tell me all about my toolishness ... in blinking marquees!

Comment

I believe you set the tone with your OPENING POST, sir.

Comment

I said SOME not ONLY non-spammy discussion, mon ami.

Comment

Come on Kuci, whine for us or something. Surely you could spare a bathroom or twelve for the homeless to defecate in instead of by this guy's store.

Comment

Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          The blink tab is an abomition, and you are a tool.
                          I agree. But I am curious how he did that. The next step of course is to have a link putting LordShiva on the ignore list that blinks.

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070118/ap_on_re_us/homeless_sued

you guys made a big mistake to letting me know that a blink tag exists. I'm going to use it all the time.

Comment

Converting the unwashed masses

Comment

Working...
                              X