No announcement yet.

Colbert meets Papa Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know what Siro means by strawmen. Colbert parodies real claims and mannerisms from Fox News conservatives. For instance, wrt to the D'Souza interview (why is it that him and Ponnuru are the most prominent Indians in punditry? - I weep for my people), D'Souza really did just release a book called "The Enemy At Home: The Cultural Left and Its Responsibility for 9/11." These are people who manage to have credibility among a significant part of our society. Which is why the Colbert Report resonates so well among most of us.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov

Are you for real?

Mocking a right winger and constantly saying "its known all muslims are terrorists" can only be funny and ironic for so long. Then it gets tedious.
      So, uh... is that why we don't find Ann Coulter funny anymore?
      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed

So, uh... is that why we don't find Ann Coulter funny anymore?
        Yes.

Comment

I think Dinesh's book is a sneaky way to attack the "red state" culture of the United States. I mean, his logic practically screams "Traditional America and the terrorists would get along much better because they have so much more in common!"

Which, I imagine, would not be considered a compliment.
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I kind of actually see the point. Both of those sides actually believe in something. The bluestaters just have sort of an enui and don't give a **** if they get eaten, like those people in THE TIME MACHINE.

Comment

Lor: Sorry typo their that last post should have read

Colbert is great, saying which is better its like a Kirk vs Picard rivalry. They each have very different styles both personaly and the jokes that are writen for them. Stewart has the more traditional SNL style but I get the impression that hes better at off the cuff improvising and he frequently cracks up when a guest gives a good zinger. Colberts strength is the ability to stay absolutly unbreakably in-character and all the humor is through that well scripted and polished character.
              Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

I never watched them that much. From the little snippet on You Tube, Stewart seems more pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by Tacc
                  His portrayal of a "typical" right winger is often very amusing, but at some point, the cynicism goes beyond what is reasonable, and loses its point.

I assume you have never lived in the United States?

Apparently not. The thing that makes Colbert so funny is that he isn't all that far off the mark of conservative talking heads on 24 hour news channels.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                    I kind of actually see the point. Both of those sides actually believe in something. The bluestaters just have sort of an enui and don't give a **** if they get eaten, like those people in THE TIME MACHINE.
                    so jihadists are more similar to the right wing than secular humanist liberalists
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                      I don't know what Siro means by strawmen. Colbert parodies real claims and mannerisms from Fox News conservatives. For instance, wrt to the D'Souza interview (why is it that him and Ponnuru are the most prominent Indians in punditry? - I weep for my people), D'Souza really did just release a book called "The Enemy At Home: The Cultural Left and Its Responsibility for 9/11." These are people who manage to have credibility among a significant part of our society. Which is why the Colbert Report resonates so well among most of us.
                      I actually had D'Souza's interview in mind.

Colbert's attitude was way too aggressive and mocking.

More than the guy deserved and probably more than any guy would.

Stewart is also mocking but he's fair and not as abusive, and Colbert took it too far. Just like with the video that was posted here by Che. Just because the other guy is an idiot, doesn't mean you have to come down to his level to be funny.

Holding up a picture of the guy's face glued onto a gay lord isn't that funny...

Comment

For a palestinian baby-stabber you sure are sensitive.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

That is some sharp and well thought out criticism.

I'm not sure how will I face it now.

I might suddenly discover the wrongfulness of my ways, and abandon my belief in my current value system.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov

I actually had D'Souza's interview in mind.

Colbert's attitude was way too aggressive and mocking.

More than the guy deserved and probably more than any guy would.
                              I beg to differ.

Just because someone has the right to air and publish his opinions doesn't mean that we don't have to right to mercilessly mock them if they're utterly, completely, retarded, like D'Souza's book. I don't think Colbert did anything wrong.

Sad, though, that D'Souza just... didn't get it.
                              B♭3

Comment

Look - mocking is great.
                                When it's funny.

It wasn't.

For the most part, D'Souza seemed like he had no idea what was going on.

Colbert took the interview where he wanted it, often exaggerating things to... not funny places. In the end - I didn't find most of it amusing.

Also, I haven't read D'Souza's book - but I think that some of his claims (ie - a heavily dovish foreign policy may actually strengthen the resolve of agressors to strike) have some merit.

I think that John Stewart would have made a better interviewer because he would have tried to have some discussion between "punches".

Colbert doesn't care about that. He just wants to "punch". Which is great.. when he's usually funny. That time, I wasn't amused.

Comment

Working...
                                X